1st Gen Veneer Primer 10 step photos

Rufcar

You will have to forgive me as I decided to take these pics today after someone asked me how to do it and I was already this far along and it was my last panel.

Place the removed panel on coffee cans and Using a 4" drywall knife scrape off the old wood veneer.post-98875-143142480798_thumb.jpg

#2: Using either MEK or Lacquer thinner and a single edge blade, a scotch brite pad clean ultra clean. Feel the surface so its as smooth as can be. This allows the new veneer glue to adhere better. Make sure you do this in above 55 deg and lower humidity.

post-98875-143142480803_thumb.jpg

#3: Lay the new veneer on the panel making sure there is space on all sides. Then using painters tape. Tape the veneer to one edge so its like a hinge and you can lay the veneer back.post-98875-143142480806_thumb.jpg

#4: Lay the veneer back and carefully pull off the paper exposing the new glue face.post-98875-143142480897_thumb.jpg

#5: Carefully lay the veneer down on to the metal surface making sure it sticks on the hinged side then moving toward you. Then use your hands to spread out the veneer to the left and right. Take a cotton cloth and smooth out the veneer from the center out then use pressure to make sure its attached evenly and that you have no lumps.

post-98875-143142480981_thumb.jpg

#6: Clean off the stainless edging and install the 2 long pieces 1st then attach the square end as shown use a block of wood and small hammer to tap the pieces back on Be very careful to make sure the clips are in the metal edge properly. Attaching these I found was the hardest part. The angled edge is the most difficult so take your time. You can stand the piece on its end to make for a more secure area to tap the edges back on.

post-98875-143142480983_thumb.jpg

Sorry I have these 2 pics reversed and cant seem to swap them out.

#7: Here is the angled end going on. I am just lining it up before taping on.

post-98875-143142480985_thumb.jpg

#8 Once complete line up the taps to the vinyl panel as shown. I found that I line up one side and I use a a screw driver or punch to tap on the tabs to line up with the holes as I go.

post-98875-143142480987_thumb.jpg

#9 When you have the panel lined up and all tabs inserted then hold the panel and flip it over on its face on a clean towel. Then using a punch as show I press down all the tabs in there exact location. You can see the marking from when you removed it. Bending them down the same way helps you not to break them off bending them in the opposite direction.

post-98875-143142480989_thumb.jpg

#10 The finished product ready to re-install.

post-98875-143142480995_thumb.jpg

OK Rufcar: I like the hinge idea. I'm going to use your idea on the next batch I do. I made my own out of vineer that I purchased. I found it important to make sure the wood was perfectly positioned between the alignment tabs on the metal backing piece. While some of the pieces were just contaminated with the old glue some and cleaned up nicely some of the metal backing pieces were rusted so I hit them with a D-A and 80 grit. It seemed to work. As long as I got no moisture in between or on the wood I was good to go. Mitch

I liked the Clarks as they use the straight grained wood which is factory correct and stable. I know I could have made it my self but with so many projects on my plate it was easier to purchase even though Clarks is twice the price of others. I also liked that they made it them selves and its not offshore.