'57, Buick dash - acrylic transfer-appliqué

Guest 72crisp

Guest 72crisp

hello to one and all, I am attempting to find any info about the process that was used on the aluminium dash plate of the 57 Roadmaster that I am restoring. Does anyone know where we can get this reproduced now?

Many thanks

Good question, and I hope there's an answer other than finding a good used one.

dash_57_buickxx.jpg

Larger

The good news is that a fascia from a Century, Super or RM will work; same part used by all.

How many '57 RMs Down Under? Must be pretty rare cars down there.

Good luck in your quest, and welcome to the Forums,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

hello to one and all, I am attempting to find any info about the process that was used on the aluminium dash plate of the 57 Roadmaster that I am restoring. Does anyone know where we can get this reproduced now?

Many thanks

Yo Mike. Maybe our friends that did the 55 dash inserts can help. Be pretty small market for it I'm guessing. These ain't no Chevys.........................Bob

• 2 months later...
Guest 72crisp
Good question, and I hope there's an answer other than finding a good used one.

dash_57_buickxx.jpg

Larger

The good news is that a fascia from a Century, Super or RM will work; same part used by all.

How many '57 RMs Down Under? Must be pretty rare cars down there.

Good luck in your quest, and welcome to the Forums,

TG

apologies for delay in reply but thanks for the input. I guessed as much, no one is replicating the transfer now, I have seen some machined finishes but not so keen. the fascia I have is okay just worn in one area where I guess someone attempted a clean!

There are a few 57 Rms around but defiantly not seen often, pretty nice examples some stock and some slightly "modified". Ours will be restored to original apart from colour, one day!!

Shaun,

The '55 and earlier dash inserts are engine-turned, with the rotating head biting into the aluminum fascia creating the swirled effect. I spoke with the Mike Seybold at the AACA Nat'l in Charlotte, showed him my '57's dash, and he said his dad had made a '57 fascia some years go that the client was happy with. I don't know if they were able to create the elongated swirl as on our '57's, rather than the rounds, but at least it's a start.

Contact him at:

Doug Seybold

2761 Clark Parkway

Westlake, OH 44145

Ph: 440.835.1193

Fax: 440.835.1522

TG

Guest 72crisp
Shaun,

The '55 and earlier dash inserts are engine-turned, with the rotating head biting into the aluminum fascia creating the swirled effect. I spoke with the Mike Seybold at the AACA Nat'l in Charlotte, showed him my '57's dash, and he said his dad had made a '57 fascia some years go that the client was happy with. I don't know if they were able to create the elongated swirl as on our '57's, rather than the rounds, but at least it's a start.

Contact him at:

Doug Seybold

2761 Clark Parkway

Westlake, OH 44145

Ph: 440.835.1193

Fax: 440.835.1522

TG

Thanks again, I have spoken with a friend in design and he is keen to see what can be done and give it some thought, so I will let you know if we have any joy! I wont bother Doug until after we see what we can do.

Cheers