Gauge Glass

meteor

Can the glass be removed from the front of the instrument cluster on a 1940 special? My amp and temp gauge are not working, but the decals are pushing up against them. I would like to clear them and see if they work.

Thanks, Roger

Guest BigDogDaddy

Yes it can, check this thread for pictures of the glass.

[h=2]Dash update and speedometer questions on my 1940 56S[/h]

Need to see it, post some pix if you can. The structure of the gauge pod is bezel->rubber gasket->glass->rubber gasket->plexi ring->metal backplate, then the gauges themselves which are mounted to the housing. There is a metal and plastic trim doohickey which is riveted to the metal backplate. The numbers are not decals but are painted into grooves on the reverse side of the plexi ring. The paint can fall out in one piece giving the impression that they were decals but they are definitely not.

I am redoing all of my pods, clock and speedo, over 1/2 done. Should be complete by the end of next week. Will post more pix.

Cheers, Dave

Hey guys, Looks like I have to remove the instrument cluster. If that I dried paint it could surely stop the needle. I may install some temporary gauges. I just got this car and am anxious to drive it. I will work on the gauges over the winter. Thanks for your help. I will try and post some pictures. Roger

post-83523-143142436251_thumb.jpg

post-83523-143142436256_thumb.jpg

post-83523-143142436263_thumb.jpg

Wow, your gauges look good compared to what I started with. Your speedo also looks good with the correct chapter ring as well. But 3 of your plastic back plates are shot it appears. Bob's has them but you have to buy the whole set. It's for a '41 so the chapter ring will be wrong but you don't need that, also the center doohickeys look good on yours. So you can likely seel what you don't need on eBay and get some of your $ back.

Actually getting the panel out and gauges off and reworked is a chore but can be done. I am doing it now, have been taking pix as I go along, will try to do a writeup for the forum.

Cheers, Dave

BTW the woodgraining looks very nice on yours. Someone painted over mine since they changed colors on the car when they repainted it. :(

Also I noticed the 0 to 50 mph part of the chapter ring trim piece is painted brown. Do you or anyone else know if this is original? I have seen it both brown and chrome. I just put the red on mine and am not sure if the brown is correct or not.

Cheers, Dave

Guest Tommy319

Hey guys I'm trying to get help with my 1940 buick super 56S, I removed the dash gauges to restore them and I lost the diagram I wrote down and I don't remember how the wires go back. All my wires are number coded. Any help would be great thanks

Well there aren't that many, fortunately. Is your harness pretty intact, especially the loom mesh? If so, the wires from the harness to the back of the ammeter are short and will only go on 1 way. The single wire coming out of the loom goes on the left terminal *as you are looking at the gauge face* and the 2 wires together on 1 lug goes on the right *as you are looking at the gauge face*. There is a loose wire, not part of the loomed bundle that goes to the cigarette lighter, it goes on the right side term *as you are looking at the gauge face*. On the gas gauge side the 2 wires on 1 lug go on the left terminal of the gas gauge *as you are looking at the gauge face* and the single wire goes on the right *as you are looking at the gauge face*. Sorry for the emphasis but want to be clear. BTW the single wire on the gas gauge is the one that goes to the sending unit if you want to check ops before you bury everything again.

Cheers, Dave

Rereading my post..."There is a loose wire, not part of the loomed bundle that goes to the cigarette lighter, it goes on the right side term *as you are looking at the gauge face*." should read "There is a loose wire (not part of the loomed bundle) that goes to the cigarette lighter, it goes on the right side term *as you are looking at the gauge face*." Forgot the parens.

Cheers, Dave

Guest Tommy319
Rereading my post..."There is a loose wire, not part of the loomed bundle that goes to the cigarette lighter, it goes on the right side term *as you are looking at the gauge face*." should read "There is a loose wire (not part of the loomed bundle) that goes to the cigarette lighter, it goes on the right side term *as you are looking at the gauge face*." Forgot the parens.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave I installed the voltage gauge like you said and it works and car started right up. I didn't know the car don't run without that gauge installed. Now I can move car around and finish up gauges, again thank you