rug install

EUGENE

Guest Steeleco

I have noticed that a lot of first gen Rivieras have a chip broken on the console where it meets the dashboard. I guess this is from center console removal. Apparently there are a couple screws that must be hard to get to or people don't know about them.

I'd be more likely to say that the ears are broken off when a person (not unlike my wife) puts her hand on the console and pushes it laterally as she tries to adjust the way she's sitting. The console moves but there's no wiggle room built in and the ears break off. The console is also made of different materials and may contract/expand in extreme weather conditions. I don't of many (any) consoles that have both ear tabs still in good shape. Perhaps some of these 25K barn finds might be okay, but anything that's gotten any kind of use is probably not. My opinion, not fact.

Ed

Ed. You could be right about 25K "finds" and console ears being intact. Mine are good and, thank goodness I read this thread. I was just thinking I'd try to take the console out and put sound deadening on the floor surface of the hump. Overkill for sure! But now that won't happen. As I mentioned in another thread, Buick did a pretty darn good job of insulating the floor under the carpet, even with 50 years' ago materials. Koodos to Buick Engineering as we can see they seemed determined to make the Riviera a better all around vehicle and especially in cabin design and comforts. And, thank you for comments as I'm now discontinuing the console removal plan and, maybe saving my "console ears". I'll advise my wife to sit robot like and not touch the console. NOT!! Well, me and the dog have been sleeping together pretty well lately since I bought the Riv and suggested she move her BMW out of the garage so the Riv could stay clean. Trying to get back in her favor. One step forward; bought her roses for V-day. Two steps back when I treated her to Valentines lunch at Costco; Polish dog with soda $1.69. Oh well she hasn't seen the credit card statement for all the replacement parts ordered on line. The other shoe will drop soon.