Installing runningboard matting on a 37 Buick

Guest Tat2ski

Guest Tat2ski

Hello,

I am looking for someone in my area that can install or help me install runningboard matting on a 37' Buick Special. I live in the Denver, Colorado area, but I am willing to drive a few hours outside of town to get it installed. Thanks.

Tom

Guest Tat2ski

Thanks Mike, I will try to contact Sandy Jones.

Bob,

I am looking to buy the matting from Cars, Inc. in New Jersey. They are priced similar to Bob's Automobilia and Steele Rubber Products.

There is a place in Alberta, Canada that I could send them to, but not sure the price for that.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom

I think Steele makes all of the matting like you're thinking of buying from Cars. Bob's and Cars are just distributors, I think.

I there are two places that do all the work but they cost about twice as the do it yourself matting but I think you'd get a lot nicer job. One is Hunley Acuff in GA, http://hunleyacuffrunningboards.com/, and the other is Kris Arneson, he must be the one in Alberta you're referring to. You probably know about Acuff also.

I am toying with the idea of making my own covers using pickup truck bed liner. I've used it to coat the bottom of the floor on my '37 Special and once it's dry it's tough as nails. It also can be molded. I figure I can cover both running boards for around $200+ and some prep time. I've heard the do it yourself covers are kind of difficult to get on correctly. Not impossible but you have to some cutting and gluing. I don't know personally, I've never used them. I'd suggest you do a search of this site to find the experiences of people who have used them.

Tom,

I glued the mats on the running boards of my car myself using two part epoxy and so far everything seems to be holding alright. The reason I did mine myself is I bought used mats for $100 and I'm cheap. My job looks alright from a distance and the outer edge is covered by the moulding. Next time though I would send them to Hunley as his look so much better and are actually molded to the boards as opposed to being glued and the underside looks much better.

It was somewhat of a pain, but doable. I just did each one in a few stages and used clamps to hold the mat as I progressed. I think it helped using a broom handle in the curve and boards to keep things shaped properly.

Carl

Guest Grant Magrath

The right adhesive is crucial. Contact adhesive won't last. I'd use some 3M weatherstrip adhesive or similar. We used a combination of a type of contact adhesive and super glue around the edges. Works a treat. The main issue is getting an adhesive to stick to rubber.

Cheers

Grant

Guest outlaw car man

If you are planning a real nice, restored car, have it done professionally. If you like to work on the stuff, save some $$ do it yourself. I've done both. Last boards I bought vulcanized , like factory stuff. Glue is critical and clamping and temps. A take your time job on a warm day-

Autoweave in Denver is known for quality work, don't know about running board covering, might call them. Burt's Model A ( Denver) may give some advice too on where to go etc.

Sandy.