how to remove ignition cylinder?

Guest classic.car.fan

Guest classic.car.fan

for my 74 buick electra. i have the steering wheel and all the other stuff off. but i cant get the ignition cylinder out because i have no keys so i cant turn it to get it out. do i need to drill it out? i don't want to damage anything. any other ways i can get it out? thanks

Edited by classic.car.fan (see edit history)

If I recall correctly, you need to turn the key to the 'run' position to depress the cylinder retainer in the column. Drilling is probably your best option because GM sidebar locks are very difficult to pick. Of course, in the old days they would steal cars by screwing a slide-hammer dent puller into the lock cylinder key hole and just yank it out. In most cases it didn't do any other damage. I had a '70 Pontiac that was stolen from me this way. When I got it back, I just bought another lock cylinder and popped it right in...never had any problems. Attempt this at your own risk!!

If I recall correctly, you need to turn the key to the 'run' position to depress the cylinder retainer in the column. Drilling is probably your best option because GM sidebar locks are very difficult to pick. Of course, in the old days they would steal cars by screwing a slide-hammer dent puller into the lock cylinder key hole and just yank it out. In most cases it didn't do any other damage. I had a '70 Pontiac that was stolen from me this way. When I got it back, I just bought another lock cylinder and popped it right in...never had any problems. Attempt this at your own risk!!
aw Harold, he said that he doesn't have the key.

With the steering wheel and lock plate removed and the turn signal switch pulled out of the way, you will see a little rectangular window in the column housing, In that window there is a spring loaded slug or tab you must depress (If you had the key, turning it to the on position would depress this tab). With the tab pushed down out of the way, the lock cylinder can be pulled or pushed out of its bore in the column. The new lock cylinder installs with the cylinder and rack sector in the on position.

Note -- sometimes this slot is obstructed with a thin bit of casting flash -- it's easy to punch through. (Later GM models use a different system with a lock bolt.)

axpe.jpg

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's no trouble at all. I was a line mechanic in GM dealerships as a tot and have only done around nine zillion of these columns.