Early Chrysler Distributors

You are probably going to have to make out the numbers on the tag. If it's an Autolite it's going to have a series of numbers and letters with three letters followed by Hiphen then probably 4 numbers similar to this but I can't remember if those are the correct numbers IGC-4001. The delco distributor will have a 7 digit part number with no letters probably starting with 1. I have a few Autolite distributors from 1939-1941 laying around I could get a photo of if it would help to compare yours to. Just let me know.

Richard, the distributor number for Auto-Lite with the six cyl engine is shown as IGS-4102-1 or IGS-4102D-1 in my Auto-Lite catalog. I don't know of any Delco distributors used in that time frame by Chrysler.

Terry

Guest Commodore

Reading the data plates on old distributors, generators and starters can be a real challenge. I found that a magnifier glass helps.

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Terry.... and all other members who replied, I have had to remove distributor to get a closer look id plate, thankfully amongst the string of numbers I can make out is 4102D, problem solved ...it's an Autolite. I think all the numbers read 1GS 4102D 111 501 4857.

Say Terry are you the gentleman I bought the blue 1939 glovebox badge from, well I also just bought on ebay a tiny replica hat pin, looks great on my Akubra!

Richard

Hi Richard, yes the same guy that sold you the glove box emblem for your Chrysler. I have an Auto-Lite catalog from 1951 that lists all the electrical components back to 1938 and I have the shop manual supplement for 1939 Chryslers. If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Did you ever make your trip to the US??

Terry

Hi Richard, yes the same guy that sold you the glove box emblem for your Chrysler. I have an Auto-Lite catalog from 1951 that lists all the electrical components back to 1938 and I have the shop manual supplement for 1939 Chryslers. If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Did you ever make your trip to the US??

Terry

Hi Terry, Thanks your reply, yes we did do our Holiday and loved it. We visited all the the usual NY attractions, Central Park, wife and daughter went skating, Empire State Bldg, and off course Times square,the Chrysler Bldg (for me),Tiffany's, Macy's, Apple store (for them) Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero (a very solemn place) Broadway show,stayed in a budget Hotel called Hotel 17 in E 17th St. What a great little Hotel, quiet street, Gramercy Cafe nearby, the best breakfasts ever!

From here we visited Niagara Falls (a bit of a let down) by train, back to NY then Pittsburgh followed by the Amish community in Lancaster county PA by coach, back to NY then Boston by Train, loved it. We experienced snow as we were leaving Boston (quite an experience for my 13yo girl who had never seen snow before) back to NY then off to JFK Airport and the 20 or so hour flight back to reality and a sunny 85f, quite a contrast in weather!!

Cant wait to do it again, funds permitting, but getting my 39 Chrysler finished for a wedding car is my priority for now,

Warm regards,

Richard