Muffler 1916 Buick

Guest TJDV

I have an original (maybe) 1916 Buick D-45 and am trying to install the muffler. The whole muffler assembly was held together with baling wire. It appears that the inner shell is supposed to have four Tinner rivets that fasten the inner shell to the inner muffler head. There are only two rivets and they are not held in place on the inner muffler shell. I initially thought the Tinner rivets were used as spacers that held the inner muffler in place. Then there are four screws that hold the inner shell to the front muffler head. The inner muffler only has predrilled holes at one end and I have screws installed at the front muffler head. I suspect that the inner muffler was replaced prior to our family acquiring the Buick in 1954. I suspect that the inner muffler is of the correct length but just needs holes added for the rivets to be installed.

Does any one have the correct length of the inner muffler or even better, inner, middle and outer muffler shells? Or do I take a shot in the dark and drill four holes and install four rivets to hold the inner muffler shell to the inner muffler head??

TJDV,

These were "stove Pipe" mufflers. If you post some pictures of what you have I can tell you (and a number of others of us) how to put it together.

The reason the were called stove pipe mufflers was that the body use stove pipe on the cast or stamped out ends. I just fixed the muffler on my '15 and '17 last year.

Larry

Tom,

Here is your picture.

post-44099-143142372195_thumb.jpg

This looks almost identical to my '15 truck. The way that I fixed it was to determine the inside diameter of the center circle with the two holes in it. Go down to the local muffler shop and get a piece of muffler pipe to the length that you need the muffler to be. Then attach the pipe to that end with some rivets. You should have a piece that fits into the other end with a stud. You attach that piece to the other end of the pipe. You will need to drill some holes about 3/8 " in this pipe.

Then go to a good wood stove store and get a piece of stove pipe that is the diameter of the outside lands. You can use the type of stove pipe that you snap together, but I purchased a piece that was welded. Cut the stove pipe to the length needed for the muffler.

You should have the other end of the muffler with a hole in the center that slips over the plug with the stud. Put the stove pipe in location, install the other end, and bolt it together.

I hope this is clear.

post-44099-143142372193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)