Various Parts for 1951 Buick Super Riviera needed!

Guest Lintsch

Guest Lintsch

Hey Guys!

Im in urgent need of a couple of parts for my restauration Project.

First off are the Rear Lights. I already got myself a Pair of those. Unfortunately they arrived without the socket assembly for the bulps on the back.

So i got the Bezels and the lenses but the part on the backside (dunno i think usually those are made of plastic) that "houses" the bulps is missing.

Anybody knows a workaround for this?

17012225jf.jpg

I thought about getting fenderskirts for the car. I only know the site www.bigjims.net. But they only offer the ones i need in Fiberglass.. i dont know if thats a really good material. Are there alternatives / different possibilities that will fit my car or is there only one or do you have such things.

As i mentioned in the other post, the car had an airride on the rear. Since i most probably have to remove that i got in contact with coilsprings.com. Thing is i dont think its enough just to remove the "airbags" and put in the coilspring. Isnt there some kind of Insulator that is needed. so far i learned that there are some "left handed screws" (dunno if thats correctly adressed) to attach the whole thing.

Has anybody made experiences with coilsprings.

Or can anybody recommend good airride solutions (in case i can manage being allowed to keep that)

Ah one last thing! I dont know how to call these little things but its something screw-alike (picture) that fits in those holes. maybe some bolts. It seems theyre all missing here. I couldnt find those things anywhere because i dont know how theyre called xD.

16979183mq.jpg

16979184iz.jpg

Guys sorry for the bad english - i can also upload more pics if you need it more in detail.

Guest Lintsch

hey Pete! That would be great. I just browsed ebay a bit and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400641432269...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I think thats the thingy on the back that i need (unfortunately the guy that offers it only has one ...)

For the bolts and cage nuts = do you know where to get those things (i guess its not easy to find those in europe)

And pete, do you have more pics of that ride ? im sure it looks great!

best regards!

Edited by Lintsch (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, I have a bunch of those cage nuts, left over from a parts car that I disassembled. How many do you need and where are you located?

Guest Lintsch

@ Rob

Now that sounds great, ill send a pn if thats ok!

Now that board actually seems great! So much help in such a short time ! Thanks a lot guys!

btw i just found 2 better pics for the nuts:

16979224to.jpg

16979225uo.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, I see that those cage nuts are in fact available from CARS Inc., although they don't show up with the Search tool. Go to their catalogue, Group 8, Fender - http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/fender-c-76_93_511.html. They are described as CN363-1, Fender Cage Nut 1936-53 Buick, $1.75 each.

I'd be pleased to send you my used ones but you might prefer these new parts. Mine look the same as those in Pete's photos, which are longer than what's shown in the CARS catalogue. The nuts in the catalogue have tabs that can be inserted into the inner fender slotted holes and then bent over, making these captive nuts. I don't think that the longer style nuts, like mine, have these tabs. The principle of the long nuts is that they spin around until they catch on an adjacent surface, which then locks them into place, so that the bolts can be fastened. It's still a two-handed job but only to get started and a backup wrench is not needed.

Guest Lintsch

@Rob

I see! thanks a lot, and those fender cage nut are the only ones i need or do they need some kind of counterpart for mounting aswell?

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, you also need fender bolts, which are listed on the same page of CARS' catalogue. They offer three lengths but I'd say go with the longer ones, to be sure.

Yikes, they're asking $8 each for these bolts! Unless you're expecting to have your car competitively judged, I'd use standard bolts with flat washers. The tapered tip on the "correct" bolts may have been convenient for factory installation but this feature is not necessary for use with cage nuts.

Guest Lintsch

Ok so all i need is tha fender cage nut in connection with standard bolts that should do it right?

Update: Thanks to Pete Phillips and ebay i got the Socket assy for the Taillights :) 1000 THanks for help :) now im on to get the fender skirts

Guest Rob McDonald

I think that's right. Even the cage nuts aren't essential, if you can reach both the bolt and a standard nut and washer or have a helper to hold the nut. But I think cage bolts would really add to the authentic look of the installation.

As I said, I do have some spare cage nuts but probably not enough to go all the way around both fenders. I'll count them up over the weekend.

Congratulations on landing those taillight parts!

Guest Lintsch

Okay! Checked the car yesterday. i think i´d order around 30 (to have some sparenuts too

also i made some pics of the airride. As it seems i need more than just the spring coils to bring it back to original:

17110844an.jpg

17110845vv.jpg

17110846fs.jpg

17110847ye.jpg

Also: Does Anybody know where to get a Trunk lock cylinder (or whole assembly) for that car? I find it on ebay for almost every other model except of mine xD

Best regards!

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, sorry, I didn't get over to my Buick's shop this weekend and so didn't count my spare cage nuts. However, I've fairly certain I have ten or less, so you should get them from CARS Inc.

That air-ride system looks so simple. It does seem that you'll need to find upper and lower spring mounts. Those can be bought used but you should probably buy new coil springs, to ensure a level ride. CARS Inc. sells full sets of springs for $425. Shipping them to Austria will cost the same, whether the parts are new or used. I can't imagine what that will cost!

Guest Lintsch

Rob, doesnt matter ;) i will just order them from cars inc. 425 you say? by 1 set you mean 1 assembly for 1 spring or 2 assemblies ?

do you mean the shipping will be around 400 bucks? :o

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, $475 is what CARS Inc. charges for a set of four coil springs for any Buick, 1935 or newer. I don't know what shipping would cost - I meant that shipping would be the same amount, whether you're importing new springs or used springs.

Guest Lintsch

@ROB AH so 475 is for the front and the rear part.. sounds ok ... sorry it took me so long.. had to carry an old friend to his grave in the last days :(

Thanks i will contact them and post my findings

Guest Lintsch

Hey there! Seems like i have to get some coil springs. The only problem i have is that the springs alone wont be enough. I dont know the names of the parts (screws insulators?) that i need for a full suspension assembly in the rear. maybe some of you can check the pictures and see what is missing to rebuild the original?

best regards lintsch

Greetings I would like to suggest that you purchase a disc with a Buick parts manual copied onto it. They are offered by Book sellers on the internet and in Hemmings Motor News. I paid $20-25.00 for one that covers 1928-1954 body and chassis. They have pictures of parts you won't find detailed other places. and you can print the pictures to take out and compare with you car or parts you may find for sale and pictured on the internet. Let me know with a PM when you find out what you need. I think you will find those parts missing are small and relatively easy to ship. Greg

Guest Lintsch

Hey !

@2carb40 thanks for the hint!

@ eric thanks for the info. i didnt realize it because i can still see them. i will reup them immediately!

Best regards

Guest Lintsch

some of the pics i cannot upload as theyre still to big in filesize ill try to find a workaround

2nd Edit: the white thingy on the last pic. Anybody knows what that could be? xD

post-93774-143142380132_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142380161_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142380189_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142380215_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142380241_thumb.jpg

Guest Lintsch

Thanks Pete!

At the moment im trying to figure out which parts i need. so far i found the springs at CARS.Inc (and also on other places). I think ill also need the coil spring insulators but i dont know where to find them. the best thing would be, to buy a complete set but i cant imagine where to find that ...

best regards

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, I checked the parts book. Rear spring mounting parts are the same for '50 and '51 Buick Supers. You need upper and lower clamps, which are cup-shape discs that hold the springs to the body on top and to the spring seat at the bottom, which is attached to the axle housing. At the top, there are insulators between the spring and the body and between the mounting bolt and the clamp. You might need the rear spring seats, too, but hopefully not. The air bag system is probably mounted on them.

(I just had had look at your photos of the rear suspension. The spring seats are there. Although they may have been altered for the air bag installation, it looks they would still support the springs.)

At the front suspension, the springs rest on the lower control arms, with no fasteners. The tops of the springs attach to the lever action shock absorbers, using a centre cup and insulating ring. The cups and insulators are the same for all series, '46 through '53. The shock absorbers may have been disabled to support the air bag system, so you might have to replace those, too.

(You didn't post any photos of the front suspension. Is it still riding on steel springs, with air bags at the rear only?)

Send me a Private Message with your email address and I can send you the parts book illustrations, showing the front and rear suspension assemblies.

Edited by Rob McDonald
checked your photos (see edit history)

Guest Lintsch

Hey Rob! :) thats great news ill pn you immediately! Yes the front suspension is still operating on steel springs!

At the moment im also looking for nice (peep) mirrors and some cool spider hub caps. Anybody knows a good website? best regards :)

Guest Rob McDonald

LINTSCH, I emailed you the parts manual illustration of the rear suspension.

Those sound like the correct bolts for the lower spring clamps. I had no idea that they'd be left-hand threaded - must have something to do with how the springs twist as they flex up and down.