55 Windshield gasket - HELP

buick840

Looking at Steele Rubber website they list 2 versions of the Windshield gasket for a 55 2 door hardtop

My old rubber is long gone and this is one area I didn't take photos........ so my question is how do I determine which one I need?

From memory the top stainless trim clips had to be unscrewed from the inside to release the trim but I can't recall how the rest of the trims were affixed............only clipped on over the rubber I think.

I also need to find the correct windshield trim clips to affix the stainless back in place ( the originals were unusable)

Steele List as follows:

<dl class="product-options dl-horizontal"><dt class="part-number-label">

Part Number:50-0212-50

</dt></dl>

Vulcanized windshield channel (1955-1st type)

Note: this gasket is slotted across the top only for your vehicles existing reveal molding. The remainer of the gasket is not slotted. See part #70-1875-50 (1955-2nd type) gasket that is slotted across top and bottom left and right sides, sold separately. Replaces factory #4640854, 4657745

<dl class="product-options dl-horizontal"><dt class="part-number-label">Part Number:70-1875-50

</dt></dl>Vulcanized windshield channel.

Note: this gasket is slotted across the top and bottom left and right sides for your vehicles existing reveal molding. The remainder is not slotted (your vehicles existing reveal molding lays on top of the rubber). Replaces factory #4657528.

Hi Brian

I cannot confirm which you need as I have a 1956. Interesting though the same rubber is listed for hardtop and sedan and if I remember correctly the sedan glass is nearly 2 inches taller than the hardtops? Hopefully someone can confirm.

Regarding trim clips mine were also beyond use so I found a good second hand set from Buickbonery but getting harder to find in good condition.

Ross

Thanks Lamar,

I thought I had a version that Willie provided but yours is a different version and covers a bit more.

At least it seems to clarify the 2 different styles of gaskets ......one early and one later which appears to be what I have as the trims "telescope into each other" as the manual above quotes.

I found another set that are supposed to fit a 55 but the large corner ones look different to others I have seen.

Any of you 55 restorers able to supply some pics of the original/correct clips or confirm that these might work?

post-41557-143142347345_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142347315_thumb.jpg