Finish of aluminum valve covers

ArtDan

I am having my 401 rebuilt. Its not the original engine to my 65, but I believe it is a 63 or 64 engine

I have looked through the forum and can not find the answer to what was the original finish on the aluminum valve covers?

Were they painted silver?

Or were they just brushed and polished?

If it's a '63 engine, it doesn't have the correct crankshaft to match up to your 65's TH400. You can swap the '65 crank into the '63 block and you'll be good to go. Be sure to use all of the '65's exterior parts - intake and exhaust manifolds, carburetor, distributor, etc. You'll also need the rear bracket from the original engine for the rear a/c bracket; it's cut differently to clear the taller valve covers.

Aluminum valve covers had a natural finish to them. Smooth on the ribs and sides.

Assume you are referring to the BUICK scripted valve covers available 64 through 66 on dual quad and GS cars.

Natural finish (no paint) with the top surface of raised linear ribs and face of the Buick letters smooth and the rest a slightly course (not polished) but consistent cast-like surface (not a brushed appearance). Any attempts to clean these up via media blasting or other means should be approached with caution as once the original cast surface is disrupted, it is very difficult to recreate it if thats the goal.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thanks

The previous owner had painted many items under the hood argent silver, including the valve covers

I've carefully stripped them by hand to discover the finishes you've described.

The car came to me with a 401 engine, dual quad setup and scripted BUICK finned valve covers

I knew the engine had been replaced over a dozen years ago, so I am not sure what adaptations were done with the engine to make it fit with the tranny

I just had the TH400 rebuilt at the factory where it was made. I hope to be good-to-go by Spring

post-74695-14314234469_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArtDan (see edit history)