'40 Limited brake linings "a riveting question"

Guest Don From Mystic

Guest Don From Mystic

My first attempt at relining shoes - obtained a set of nos linings - no rivets or reference to correct size to use. Any info, tips or suggestions for learning, buying or installing the correct size would be much appreciated. I will be putting them in without the luxury of a machine. Many thanks!

There may be a chance that NOS linings have aged and out-gassed some of the volatiles that gave the linings a cushion grip to conform to the drum and stop the car. I had a friend who once did a full brake job and kept his original shoes because they had minimal wear. Car car wouldn't stop. I shared my thoughts and finally he begrudgingly installed a fresh stock set of linings. He wasn't happy that I was right but the car sure stopped good. Be careful about the age of those NOS consumable parts.

Bernie

Don,

I had my shoes relined last summer @ Denver brake and clutch with the modern stuff.

My old shoes were in good shape, but they had a LOT of rivet holes, like this was not their first rodeo.

Also the previous job had the lining material about an inch and a half to two inches from each the end of the shoe.

Denver B&C installed all shoe linings to about 3/8" from the end of the metal backing and chamferred the ends @ 45 degrees.

They sand blasted and painted the shoes and redrilled holes as required by the Raybestos linings. The new stuff....

Cost was less than $200.00 and turn around was a week for all 8 shoes.

I am very happy with the job and the "Baby" stops true and straight.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Guest Don From Mystic

Thank you both.An interesting suggestion, Bernie - had not considered that. Mike, repair data is pretty specific with lining dimensions for primary/secondary shoes, which I'm sure your shop adhered to. Limited's have BIG brakes, linings are thicker, wider and longer than other Buicks of the period. I did find a brake shop near me that would do this at about the same $, but I am committed to do this myself, if only for the experience. The first trip around the block will tell the story. Still hoping to get the rivet info. thanks again

I have to agree with Mike.

I have 9 prewar cars and a 41 Limited. Many of my cars did not stop well when I bought them. I inspected the brakes and they had good lining remaining. I acquired an old OE set of lining, then found a HD brake rivet tool and some old rivets. I did not like the way the fit and that is a lot of car to stop with a few rivets.

So I sent my shoes to a brake and clutch shop in Seattle. They blasted the shoes, relined them with good quality linings the will work well on the older cars (Very Important). They then bond the shoes, bake them and if you bring your drums in they will arc them to fit. This way it stops perfect from the first drive and you don't have to keep adjusting them.

I have been working on old cars and have my own auto shop for 38 years and we work on many classic cars. So yes I could have relined my own shoes, but not worth it and I have rebuild so many linings on older cars because some one had put too hard of lining on. Before with two feet the car slows down. After the shoes are rebuilt by an experienced brake shop all the cars would stop well and skid the tires on a panic stop.

I have corrected over 20 bad brake jobs that still had life left , but not done correctly.

So....... this is just my advise, good luck!

Steve Fisher