1932 series 50

simhin

Hello again,

I'm after some more advice please...

We have a problem with the cork float in the carb, and we dont seem to be able to seal it. We have tried two or three different things over here in the UK and nothing seems to give a permanent skin.

Most similar era British cars had metal floats, so our experience base is less.

So does any one have a solution for coating the float, and if you could be as specific as possible. Also can the old float even be re coated or will we have to start again?

'Dope' has been mentioned, but its a bit generic a term, and the newer fuels seem to eat everything we put in them.

Any help gratefully received

Regards

Simon

Krazy Glue has worked for me for years. I have several old books and manuals that troubleshoot and/or explain the various designs and theories of how all kinds carburetors work. I also have Harold Sharon’s book “Understanding Your Brass Car” that explains how any do-it-yourself amateur can replace the cork in an updraft carburetor to drastically improve performance. Harold explains in simple terms how you can use “Crazy Glue” & wine corks to make a replacement cork float to fit in almost any carburetor. He also states that coating the cork is not necessary. I expect that gasoline additives & ethanol in modern gasoline would probably dissolve any of the old recommended shellac coatings and gum up everything anyway. But, I know that model airplane dope or Crazy Glue can be used to seal cork floats.

http://www.officeworld.com/search_results/static/S103574/

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)