1955 buick ignition electrical switch

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

Hi guys I am looking for the electrical part and the casing for the ignition switch in my 55 buick special. I see the key and tumbler insert everywhere but not the casing. Does anyone know of a source for this part??

Guest 38buick55special

I wish I could but the p/o removed the original switch and cylinder. Now there is just wires. I will try and get a picture but its sort of tough considering the buick had the floor start so they are different from the other gm cars.

Guest 38buick55special

Sorry I didn't see that post, I need everything that's on that link. There is just a hole in the dash and wires on the other end.

Give me a few days to look for the pieces in the photos or in my parts cars.

Willie

In the meantime, you might research another option: A friend 'personalized' a 54 Buick ( similar dash ) and used 55 Chevy switch and bezel to be functional and not unpleasant to look at.

Guest 38buick55special

I was actually researching using a 53 chevy pickup switch it looks like the one pictured on your link it also had a floor start (just not on the accelerator) The problem is I don't have the bezel and bracket for the back. I would really like the dash to look original.

I've been watching this and really HOPING you would find it Willie. My conscience knows there is one in a Special out in the pasture but MY lazy-ass keeps saying "wait for Willie man, he'll come through". 'sides my blood is still in my eyeballs from pulling a couple of draft tubes, so not looking forward to standing on my head and breaking my neck to pull a starter switch if'n I don't hav' ta. Talkin 'bout crappy weather...I spent the last two days fixin busted waterlines. If you wanna see a crowded plumbing isle, go to a Lowes a couple days after single digit temperatures in Georgia.

Guest 38buick55special

Believe me I understand, I am a NYC Sanitation mechanic. I haven't been off since before New Years. Believe me it's no rush. I may be going to a junkyard this week ( if I ever get a day off ) supposedly they have a special section for antiques.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 38buick55special

Thank you all for your replies and much appreciated detailed instructions. I did find an ignition switch, bezel and bracket at the junkyard. I haven't been able to put it in yet might be some time before that happens considering we are expecting snow.......again.