WTB - 1949 Buick Sedanette

Wilf Sedanet

Wilf,

I, too appreciate the 1949 Buick C body (mine is a Super). I wanted one for about ten years, occasionally looked (Hemmings, ebay motors, etc.) and in January 2012 a restored one came up for sale in California. I used Intercity Lines and recommend them without hesitation. They were less expensive and provided enclosed transport. Very, very good people to deal with. The driver was very knowledgable and we kept in touch via mobile phone throughout the trip. Mine is an older restoration and I don't care for the finish on the dash, so I'm removing it and the window garnish for repainting in a correct color gloss finish. I will never forget meeting the transport driver and seeing the car for the first time. What a thrill and I can't describe it or explain it - you know what I'm talking about. I have driven it 7000 miles since then.

Congratulations on buying a great car - they are very hard to find. You are exactly right about the styling cues of the 49 Buick sedanette. There is no other like her.

I'm feeling cheated. I contacted this guy in Milwaukee 2 hours after the ad went on Craigslist. He finally called me on Monday. I agreed to pay asking price but asked him if he would give me until Friday to get someone to personally inspect it. I worked my network and scheduled a guy to look at it on Friday afternoon at 4:00, a time he chose. On Wed., he shot me an email and said someone had offered him $2000 more than asking price. (I didn't know this was an auction.) After, getting over it, I agreed to pay that and confirmed that he was going to let my guy look at it tomorrow. Today, he shot me another short email saying, "Sorry, I received a deposit already from the other guy."

Am I wrong? The guy in Hillsborough was a gentleman. He told me that Wilf and one other guy were ahead of me and that he would contact me if everything fell through. That didn't happen and I respected him for honoring his commitments.

Grrrrr.

Guest Rob McDonald

ROCK, many of us know the pain you're going through. We think we've made a deal but it slips away before we've had a decent chance to seal it. To the seller, all we are is a voice on the phone or the other end of an email thread. The first guy to forward a deposit wins the sale. We can only hope for his sake that the car isn't junk, which it very well could be, since no one on this forum has actually seen it. It sounds trite but I am sorry for your loss.

Wheelnut, did you buy your '49 Sedanette in September/October of 2011? If so, I think it was one that I called on and was too late (there was another one in Kentucky at about that time that I missed as well). What was the car's condition?

Darn, sorry to hear about this, rockabie... I did not see :(

Man, I had a ton of luck that I dared to call the Hemmings ad in a "here goes nothing" feeling after being disappointed in a few sellers. I must say I could not have found a better seller ever! Honest, patient, considerate, helpful. A true gentleman. It feels like I got a new friend overseas. He even sent me some pages from the buick bugle about a sedanette (July 2013) and about checking the VIN on them (January 2014).

Buying a car is more than just the rolling steel, it's about two people investing time and trust in each other. That's what makes this the perfect buy all the way

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

• 1 month later...