WTB - 1949 Buick Sedanette

Wilf Sedanet

I'm looking for a Buick Sedanette from 1949 specifically. I don't mind the series (40/50/70 i.e. special/super/roadmaster) and I don't mind bodywork and rust.

What I do need on the car: A clear title.

What I want on the car: The interior dashboard, inner and outer chrome and trim should be complete. It would be great if the bodywork is straight. Rusted out rockers etc. is no problem as long as the car will not break in two halves.

I am not looking for high a bucks completely rebuilt car, I am looking for anything in between daily driver and fixer upper.

The car can be located anywhere in the USA, Canada or Europe.

I appreciate all the help, hints and tips.

Thank you very much!

Cheers, Wilfred

Guest 42buickman

Gonna be a tough one to find, especially if you want all the trim on it. And, the super and roadmaster are totally different bodies from the special. The special has the same body as the 41-42-46-47-48-49, which is the "B" body, and the super and roadmaster is a one year only "C" body. Good luck, Paul

Yeah I saw that one in Perth too but I though it would be way too expensive to get that one to Europe - literally the other side of the world. I didn't ask for a quote at a shipping agency yet though. I saw he was asking $4700 (AUS dollars) which is steep compared to the two I missed out on:

I just missed out on two complete projects; one in California - with black plates - for $4950,- (still on CL but sold to someone in New Mexico) and a rusty but complete one for $2700,- which I had good contact with with the seller but a friend of him bought it - and well, I can imagine someone rather selling something to a friend than to someone 6500 miles away on another continent...

Thank you for your replies so far, much appreciated!

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

Gonna be a tough one to find, especially if you want all the trim on it. And, the super and roadmaster are totally different bodies from the special. The special has the same body as the 41-42-46-47-48-49, which is the "B" body, and the super and roadmaster is a one year only "C" body. Good luck, Paul

Actually I would also go for one without all of the trim… As long as the dashboard is stock and is complete (as possible), without hacksaws and custom interior.

The reason I fell in love with the Sedanette is the beautiful dashboard, the beautiful body lines, the perfect thought of rear lights (who needs to customize with such great design) and the beautiful toothy grille, and also the beautiful front and rear bumper. I think this design is near perfection as can be. I thank Buick for building such a car.

I also like the Cadillac sedanettes (I'm a V8 addict) but that Buick dash, grille and rear lights are just too nice for me to 'settle' for a Caddilac. Wow, what would GM think about that when someone would say that back in 1949 ;)

p.s. I didn't know that there was no Buick Special Sedanette until you pointed it out, thanks.

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

It seems that there are a lot of Cadillacs out there - could one be easily be rebuilt as a Buick? I was thinking: the rear fenders, front fenders, front grille, hood, bumpers and dashboard are the most important distinctionf of a Buick. So it may be worth it buying a 4dr Buick and a Cadillac sedanette and make the Sedanette into a Buick..?

Guest 42buickman

Tail lights would a problem, rear fenders at the tail lights are quite different. The hood on the Buick is hinged on both sides, whereas the Cadillac is hinged at the back, but, the bodies are the same. And you could probably change the dash since the bodies are the same. Lots of work, but, if you enjoy it, it's not work, it's FUN. Good luck, Paul

I would enjoy buying a project buick (even without an engine and a tranny) more in stead of hacking up a Caddy. Maybe I should be more patient as I am searching years. I am a little impatient now I guess because I almost bought a nice project for $5000 (sold a day before I called) and for $2700 (because seller decided to sell it to an acquaintance as a parts car just when I wanted to seal the deal). Frustration set in for being so close...

I agree, Wilf, a superb design. Unfortunately, the hot rodders also noticed the car's striking lines, and the number of unmolested sedanets available has been greatly diminished by their attention. When you're hot to buy a car, it's hard to be patient, but modifying a Caddy club coupe (MUCH more expensive than the Buick) will leave you wishing you'd waited. If you like toothy grills, maybe go all the way and get a "50? Good luck.

Actually I would also go for one without all of the trim… As long as the dashboard is stock and is complete (as possible), without hacksaws and custom interior.

The reason I fell in love with the Sedanette is the beautiful dashboard, the beautiful body lines, the perfect thought of rear lights (who needs to customize with such great design) and the beautiful toothy grille, and also the beautiful front and rear bumper. I think this design is near perfection as can be. I thank Buick for building such a car.

I also like the Cadillac sedanettes (I'm a V8 addict) but that Buick dash, grille and rear lights are just too nice for me to 'settle' for a Caddilac. Wow, what would GM think about that when someone would say that back in 1949 ;)

p.s. I didn't know that there was no Buick Special Sedanette until you pointed it out, thanks.

@ suchan (#9): I saw some horrible "hot rods" the years I was looking… With plush, with '90's interior, with digital dashes, with completely molested exteriors… Horrorshows… :(

I really only love the '49. It's what I said: every detail of it. I think the '50 is too bulgy on the front. It isn't as refined and the dimensions seem too far off. Also, those sleek '49 lines on the hips (taillights) and sides are just unbeatable IMHO.

@ suchan (#10): Well, I don't really like the color (which starts to count when the price is high enough you don't want to repaint a restored one) and it is out of my budget… That's why I'm searching for an abandonded project, a barn find (without the overhyped sales pitch that comes along with such a statement nowadays) or just one WITH a clear title but WITHOUT engine and tranny.

Wilf, If you get a 49 Body, I can help with some of the parts. I have been on a MAD search for 49 Sedanette only pieces. If you see my thread, you will see why.

I actually have an Extra dash. It needs a tiny bit of work, but it will get you through a pinch if you find yourself in the same situation as me with my Previous Owners HOT ROD hacksaw follies.

Keep us posted. Patience is key. As others have said, Making a Caddy into a Buick will be hard, cost more $$$ than if you started with a Buick, and may even frustrate you to the point you abandon the project.

Once I get mine in order, All the extra pieces will be going to RE-Fund my project. So I will definitely help you out.

Gary: I have and I have had contact with the seller but the man who sells it believes in honesty (what I appreciate very much). Being the honest man he is I have to wait until another buyer comes to see the car (he had contact with him since before Christmas). If he does not buy it I am the first to hear. The car does seem to be what I am looking for: it is not an interesting buy for people that are looking for a perfect restoration candidate (it has too much work to make it financially worth it) so I sincerely hope the other buyer does not want it as much as I do.

I have two other leads for cars for less than that price, so I have three leads rigt now. I do like the Hemmings one the most because of the owner (a great guy, talking with him already cost me $100 on international phone costs, such a nice man) and him being honest about the car (the amount of work still there) and the color and patina. I have not seen pictures of any of the three cars yet though, so this is judging on what sellers tell me.

Sonof2buicks: thanks for your support and words! I feel I am really getting close to my dream. I hope I don't get disappointed this weekend (see text above) and I will surely keep everyone here up to date. I will not molest a Caddy but search for a Buick (hopefully this weekend the search ends).

Thank you all for the support and help. Great to see so many gearheads chip in!

Yeah, that's must be a 48.

I called on the 49 and I'm behind you, Wilf. I am close to the seller and was going to go look at it but he said to wait and he'd call me if one of you didn't buy it.

If you buy this one, I'd appreciate a lead on one of the others you are looking at, I also called the guy in CA too late. Looks like I am just too slow. :)

Guest Rob McDonald

WILF, is your new car the one from Hillsborough NC? The description I found in Hemmings is, "BUICK: 1949 Super sedanette, new interior, new glass, rubber, plastic, fuel pump, www radials, burns no oil, garage kept". Your car? If so, you should be very excited indeed.

Yes, it's the car from Hillsborough, the one that has been linked in this thread. I got the pictures via snail mail and it's everything I wanted: not perfect but a driver. It has patina and has its minor points but I will keep it in the garage out of the summer season and keep it in technical fit shape (first thing I'll do is get it technically checked, change all fluids etc.).

But first I have to transport it safely to my garage, at the other side of the ocean… That's a nerve-wrecking experience (my first overseas buy)… That's why I don't want to jinx anything by already proudly sharing the pictures I got… I heard horror stories of cars being severely damaged during transport. Not that that is really common but I want to exclude the disappointment of sharing pictures of a car that looks no way like the one rolling out of the container. Of course I will insure the car but insurance won't get you trim and chrome pieces that are rare...

Haha :)

after ten years of Mopar it's finally coming together ;) I still love driving Mopars but the '49 buick sedanette has always been my secret love. I just never thought I could ever own one....

You're now officially one of the few Dutchies that knows why I'm selling the Soto (can't fit them both in my garage) which left some of my friends stupefied because almost no one knows about my buy (and I like to keep it that way for as long as possible - until I drive my sedanette to the King Cruise:)).

I did contact them but I asked for a quote to Baltimore and container shipment does not take place there I found out (only RORO). I have several quotes of container shippers and they all use different ports (Linden, New Jersey, Florida) and all shippers offer door to door with reasonable prices.

By the way: how can one check the title of a classic car? The VIN is too short and the special license plate (historic vehicle) doesn't show up as well on the various dmv sites. I just want to check ownership and status (clear) of the title although I do firmly believe and trust the seller.

Guest Rob McDonald

Gotta love those long Roadmaster fenders and this car has the optional leather and cloth interior. "Runs and drives" is pretty attractive too. Someone's going to take this beauty home.