1917 roadster seat

1916roadster

Guest Bill Miller

Leather can be ordered from Kelleen Leather (he advertises in the CCCA bulletin) or from Miamicorp in Cincinnati (they have a website at miamicorp.com). I can vouch for the quality of the latter at reasonable prices. Check out youtube to try to find an exemplar roadster so you can see what the seat pattern looked like. I think it was the same for both roadsters and tourers, i.e. a button tufted style. If not already a member, be sure to join the DB Club and you can get the names and contact info for other owners of '17 roadsters to assist you with more specific information.

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)

Bill, Thanks for the information. I will check out thoses websites.I have a local source for leather but will compare. There is a video link on db website that shows db assembly line and good pictures of seats. Video is dated 1917. I did join db club and everyone I have met has been extremely helpful. I am in contact with 2 db members , one with a 1917 and the other with a 1919.Thanks again, John

Thanks David, I'm not going to attempt this myself, maybe the next car. There are quite a few Menonite upholstery shops in the area. I'm looking for help as far as texture, finish of leather, ect. I looked at miamicorp website yesterday.there is alot of different choices out there.

If you can find someone with an original seat that would help you determine grain of leather. It would be black, of course, probably with minimal surface texture, just a light grain. You want leather that's dyed through, not just a surface finish. For a roadster seat only, one hide probably isn't quite enough for button tufting, so get two. Make sure your trimmer uses horsehair stuffing, and look at an example of their tufting work to make sure it's deep and full, not flat.

Top material was originally some form of Pantasote, a woven cloth base with waterproofing applied. An exact match is not available, so you can either use a replicated Pantasote or, for better wear but not original, a Stayfast material. Eric Haartz is quite helpful to us antique car guys, information and samples from Haartz will help you.

• 2 weeks later...

John, I have much dimensional data relevant to early (pre '19) roadster and touring upholstry and top. If you are a DBC Member send me an email and I will send data. My email address is on inside front of DBC News. Rodger "Dodger"