CLUTCH BRAKE MATERIAL?

79 speedster

Guys,

Thanks for all of the responses to my clutch lining question. I'm going with leather.

One more question that forgot to ask. What material would you advise to be used for the clutch brake? The original is a red material and is badly worn. I have seen a brake lining type of material used on my friends car but it appears to be doing damage to the flywheel. Id rather sacrifice the pad than my flywheel.

Mark

I suspect the pressure is too great,,,force on friction pad,,,

It shouldn't wear or gaul,,The "old" material may be a later replacement

Try an old leather shoe heel,,,good old hard one,,haha,,,

Oh,,,AND it should NOT be rubbing on the flywheel but rather on the clutch

spider,,,the part that is probably aluminum,,,

Is there a spring in the clutch brake actuating mechinsm,,??

If all else fails,,,,try a block of elm wood,,,its coe efficient /friction is relatively stable,,

dry or oiled,,,Was used on some early steam cars

Good luck,,Ben

Ben,

My mistake. The clutch brake does wear on the clutch and not the flywheel. My friends car is having some galling on the aluminum cone clutch and that is what I will avoid. I think the old heel is a great idea and Ill give that a try. My clutch brake does not have a spring on it but the earlier cars did. Maybe that would be a good conversion to make.

Thanks for everyone for your thoughts and input

Mark

Yes,,,without a spring pressure will be brutal,,,and tend to stop the clutch and make shfting

difficult,,,You want the clutch to stop to get into gear from stopped,,,but between gears,,you want it to slow down,,not stop,,If you have a friend with a Siilver Ghost,,have him show you the

clutch and clutch brake,,,its a soft pad perhaps 1" x 2" and has an adjustable pull rod,

or something of the sort,,,A very easy to get along with arrangement,,,

Hope this helps,,,Cheers,,Ben

The friction material should be softer than the aluminum,,,,There is some problem

with modern brake material destroying soft drums,,,Cheers Ben