1936 Buick Series 40 Stromberg EE-1 carburetor question.

Fastfret

My Stromberg model EE-1 Carburetor is giving me problems...The tube that squirts out gas, from the power piston, when you accelerate, is dumping fuel at idle excessively; causing the engine to run very rich...what causes this problem? Is it a bad "power valve"...Any insite would be appreciated...

My Stromberg model EE-1 Carburetor is giving me problems...The tube that squirts out gas, from the power piston, when you accelerate, is dumping fuel at idle excessively; causing the engine to run very rich...what causes this problem? Is it a bad "power valve"...Any insite would be appreciated...

If you open the Top of the Carb then check also your Floater, it is switch over to a Diver (=Gas in the Bowls,shake it carefully and listen ) ,then you need a Rebuildkit with a new Floater include.

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

My guess would be a power valve (economizer valve) which is stuck open. This could be caused by:

(A) Fatigued spring in the valve, in which case it will need replacing

(B) The normal crud residue from modern fuel, in which case removing the valve and cleaning the valve in lacquer thinner may solve the issue.

Remember when removing/installing a power valve, one SHOULD utilize a special tool! This tool need not be purchased, as it can be made. Take an old screwdriver that has a blade of the proper thickness and width, and grind a groove in the center to allow clearance for the plunger in the power valve. Remember to dip the blade in oil periodically while grinding to prevent overheating and removing the temper from the blade.

Jon.