1914 studebaker speedster help

Guest Kelly k

Guest Kelly k

I bought this speedster and need some help identifying some parts that are missing. The lid of a tool box from the running board of a 1913 touring. On the edge of the fire wall /cowl there are marks for a bracket and elec wiring for lights,what would the brackets look like? The car came with old tires on the split rims that I want to keep on the rims,can I buy 4 split rims 24" ? The steering box extends out the side of the hood I don't see that on any photos I find . 108.3wb. I will try to post photos but have had no luck. You can contact me at kellykinzle@comcast.net

post-94519-143142321071_thumb.jpg

post-94519-143142321098_thumb.jpg

post-94519-143142321122_thumb.jpg

post-94519-143142321145_thumb.jpg

Your photo does not show a completed car so am wondering why you believe it to be a 1914 model. Of course Studebaker did not make a speedster in 1914 and, in fact, never even made a roadster. They did make a landau roadster (on both the four and six cylinder chassis) but this was more of a cabriolet type body and could not have been easily adaptable to a speedster. The '14 was distinguishable by the fact that it had the gas tank in the cowl and the gas filler was on the exterior of the cowl (passengers side). I am wondering if perhaps you have a home built speedster? Very commonly done back in the teens. If so the parts you are seeking may not even have been on a stock car and the particular holes you mention may not even have been on a standard 1914 model.

No doubt it started life as a 1914 Studebaker SC. (exhaust manifold integral with the block) The 13 ran on magneto (no generator) and the 15 had a detachable exhaust manifold. The 16/17 engine had both intake and exhaust on the same side.

it looks like a great project. i followed the stude on ebay until it got to high in price. i do hope a true roadster as i did not have the stude expertise to verify...looks like a great project...not sure why they made a windshield for it though? keith

If it is that car I had commented on it before on the SDC forum. The car does not have a body. Just two seats (not originally from that car) and a gas tank. It is obviously a home built job using the original Studebaker engine and chassis and whatever parts he could find laying around. A rat-rod from the teens. It likely started life as a touring car but who knows?