Just taken delivery of a 1964 Riviera from within Australia already.

Guest GLine64Riv

Guest GLine64Riv

I have two queries regarding my new purchase.

1. I believe the windscreen washer motor may not be working and this is critical to me getting the car passed by our Govt motor Regn body here in South Australia. I realise now that the washer motor is located close to the firewall on the drivers side, but not easy to get to without removing bodywork. Has anyone got any tricks of the trade to getting at the motor without going to this extent?

2. The car has also arrived with additional horns installed underneath the bonnet (hood), one longer than the other, which I believe was an option available in 1964.

Can anyone point me to an official website that confirms this was the case and if it was a factory or dealer option?

Is this something that can officially be confirmed by the Buick Club itself?

Thanks.......Grahame

Grahame.. Welcome and congratulation mate.. Well done, there is a fantastic fellow your way that i bought my 63 from called Roger. I can organise some info for you and maybe introduce you both as he is a great lover of Rivs and has ampol info on them. In the back of the Body workshop manual there is a photo of 63 with underhood horns.

Send me a PM and i'll send you photos of the pump and scan the Underbonnet info. It is quite easy. Just under the Lefthand bonnet hinge there are 3 rubber hoses strapped together and the wiring to the pump. 2x6mm and 1x10mm. Just guessing sizes.

The 10mm goes from water bottle to pump and the 2 6mms go from pump to each wiper arm. Just trim them under the hinge and head to Peps or Supercheap and buy a external pump that suits. On my car the 2 wires heading to the pump terminals are Brown & Orange. Get someone to hold the washer switch in and check whether Orange or Brown have 12 volt and tap into it to power your external pump. Earth it straight to the body and it should work properly..

2x6mm and 1x10mm. Just guessing sizes.

The 10mm goes from water bottle to pump and the 2 6mms go from pump to each wiper arm.

That Riviera wasn't built in the U.S. of A. if it has metric sizes associated with it. :rolleyes:

The four note horns were option code O-7 for 1964.

The options list for 1964 is on the Riviera Owners website.

Guest GLine64Riv

Thanks for the quick (and informative) update. I figured there would have to be some way of getting around it. Our motor registration in S.A. are pretty hot on checking these sort of things before allowing it on the road. Excuse my ignorance but am unsure of your reference to me sending you a "PM". Happy to get any information you can assist with.

My email address is gtline@bigpond.com if that helps at all.

I intended to get hold of a couple of workshop manuals anyway, so that will obviously assist with future little things that come up.

OK GLine: I recently exchanged greetings from a gentleman from Germany. His pristine and real nice looking Riviera was towed by the Berlin Police because it has a few minor things that needed to be repaired. I was surprised that the police are so oppressive but what do I know. Here in the United States if a police officer sees a classic car that looks sharp they usually give the thumb's up sign. Mitch

G'day Grahame.. I tried sending through to your email but it bounced back.

Let me know if you have another one I can send this info through to please..

Benny..

Guest GLine64Riv

Hi Benny, That email should have been good as it's definitely receiving mail today without problem.

That address was gtline@bigpond.com just in case I sent it wrong previously.

Let me know how you get on this time.

Cheers..... Grahame

G'day Grahame.. I tried sending through to your email but it bounced back.

Let me know if you have another one I can send this info through to please..

Benny..

Sorry mate it was my fault. File was to big.

I have resent it as 2 emails. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Cheerio,

Benny.

Benny, If you're still having problems with the email, you could try my work one, at least until Friday 20/12.

This one is grahame.line@nab.com.au which may work better.

Regards....Grahame