Packard Eight 34 - Novice from Europe needs advice

Guest AT_VARE

Guest AT_VARE

post-94365-143142316564_thumb.jpgHello Packard Experts,

I have a Packard Eight 1934. Engine straight 8. I'm now planning to put it on for sale and I need your valuable advice - How much I can ask?

The car has been in our family more than 50 years, stored in a dry, cold concrete floor warehouse, all parts are in place (no parts missing, even original orange colour turning indicators I have). Rear register plate holder rod is broken. Chromes/nickel not so good anymore, but e.g. head lamps and horns are still like new. Engine is in running condition, gear box and clutch OK. Chassis quite OK, just some surface corrosion I think. Brakes not working. Interior front seat upholstery and those wood replica painting (I don't know what is the word in english, sorry) need renewing/restoration. I'll try to attach some photos into this post.

Please give me at least some kind of estimation about the value.

If someone is interested in USA, shipping it back there might be not so impossible task...

Best Regards: AT_VARE anssivare@gmail.com

post-94365-143142314221_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142314136_thumb.jpg

post-94365-14314231416_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142314181_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142314201_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316567_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316569_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316571_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316573_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316575_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316577_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316579_thumb.jpg

post-94365-143142316582_thumb.jpg

Edited by AT_VARE
Pics added (see edit history)

Where is the car located now? 1934 is a very good year, don't think any manufacturer built a car that wasn't pretty, and the 33-34 Packards are quite desired. Not the Super 8, which is more valuable, but still a very nice car.

Woodgraining might be the word you're searching for on the interior painted metal.

Engine picture would help, as would a better picture underneath car to understand what's going on under there.

Hope she finds a good home!

Guest AT_VARE

Thank you for your kind and nice answer! And now I also know the word woodgraining, good.

The car is located in Finland.

I'll attach some more picture from underneath tomorrow when I go to my garage.

BR: AT_VARE

Welcome to the forum. That looks like a very original model 1100, was it originally sold in Finland? The NADA in the US lists retail values for the longer wheelbase 1101 model from $27,000 to $90,000 depending on condition but your car may be worth less due to non working brakes, mismatched tires, chrome condition, etc. It may be worth spending a bit fixing the mechanical issues to make it a good driver. Unrestored 34 Packards in any condition are rare and will command attention. Good luck!

Guest AT_VARE

Sir Don,

Thank you for your good and promising reply! Yes, it was originally sold in Finland. In a VIN-plate you can see; City H:KI means capitol of Finland, Helsinki.

Does anyone knows why year 33-34 1100 Packard are so rare?

I have heard so much crying from some tyre kickers that how much money and work my car restoration need. I suppose that purpose is just try to push price as low as possible. It might be a good idea to do some real fixing with the brakes etc.

Could someone please tell me a correct firing order?

Best Regards: AT_VARE

Edited by AT_VARE (see edit history)

Firing order is the same as for almost all other US-made straight 8s except 1st and 2nd Series Packards, 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4 but that won't correspond to the wire order in the distributor cap because of the dual-point, dual coil and double-ended rotor because the ignition firing alternates between point sets and coils.

Actually, 33 and 34 Packards have the highest survival rate of all years of Packard production except for 1899 and possibly 1900. They are rare because so few were built in the first place.

Please take a look at the patent plate (vehicle number plate) and advise if you can, I'm curious if it was built in Detroit or Canada.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Guest AT_VARE

Thank you for your reply and especially firing order advice! By the way, how to define wires, with that double-ended rotor then?

My car is build in Detroit, Michigan, USA.

BR: AT_VARE

post-94365-143142321908_thumb.jpg

If you have an original distributor cap, the spark plug #s are indicated on the cap below the cover adjacent to each terminal. Otherwise I could take a look at my spare cap and give you the order - let me know.

Thanks for a picture of your patent plate. Your 703 is a very late one, the last # known to me is 2637. I'm fortunate in having copies of all of Autola O.Y.'s sales records from 1936 thru 1939 - and I'll add yours to the file. Can you give me the large embossed number (the theft-proof number) on the engine side of the cowl for my study? And if possible the motor or engine #? I've been researching the 1934 Eights for decades and your appears to be a survivor I'm not familiar with.

PS, looking at the top of the distributor cap with the cover removed, the plug wire #s are, going counter-clockwise, 1-5-7-6-8-4-2-3

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

I know people don't like to put values on other people's cars, but since you've asked a couple of times, I'll put a number out there and people can bat it around.

Original cars are fun to keep that way, yours is what I would consider on the cusp of needing to be restored. The rusty appearance underneath doesn't help it's appeal, and there are some interesting things going on under the hood that would need to be addressed. You state it's "running", but that can still mean the engine needs attention, and if the brakes are bad, that means there's other mechanical to do..... But, it's right in the years that Packard is desirable.

I'd say the car, as it sits, is an $16-18K car. Just my opinion....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AT_VARE

Dear Sir,

Tank you for your reply. This kind of exact (close enough) estimation I need when trying to make decision what to do; Do I sell a family member away or keep her and do restoration as much as possible by my self.

Also sending her back to USA reduce remarkable my profit. I have received offers also from Russia, which is much more closer.

I haven't start the engine, but it rotates and I'm sure it will start. At least 20 years it did,

Best rEGARDS: AT_VARE - FINLAND

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AT_VARE

It's for sale now. If someone in US is interested, please send your offer to anssivare@gmail.com

Via email I give my phone number.

Thanks! AT_VARE - FINLAND

Rear register plate holder rod is broken and that upper part not exist anymore.

Bumpers needs just new chrome.

All tires need to be changed. Rear tires are wrong size, because of the World war II correct size not available in Finland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]230518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]230517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]230518[/ATTACH]

post-94365-143142348987_thumb.jpg

post-94365-14314234901_thumb.jpg

Edited by AT_VARE
correcting pics (see edit history)