valve covers

zoltanb

Guest Corvanti

i refreshed valve covers on a 3.8L - not a Reatta - a '99 Firebird a few years ago. same color, etc...

once off, i cleaned them with a degreaser. "simple green" or "purple power". scrubbed with a nylon brush and rinsed.

then "goo-gone" citrus pump spray. scrub and rinse. DON"T use anything with acetone or a stronger adhesive/paint remover. it will eat into the plastic.

clean again with rubbing alcohol.

if there are any rough spots, lightly sand with wet/dry sandpaper and rinse.

i used a silver/gray spray engine enamel to complete the refresh. i used either matte or semi-gloss just to give it a little more "sheen". the paint was available at my "flaps".

obviously, i didn't do anything except clean the interior of the covers.

hope this helps!:)

The finish on my valve covers are starting to peel any body refinished these? I think they are plastic how to you get all of the finish off? Would like suggestions for materials to use. Thanks

They are so common and cheap that I would just find a good used set and clean them up. This is goes for keeping them stock or repainting.

Ronnie, No problem. I just didn't want anyone to buy them and then find out that they don't fit and have to return them as I did from another site.
Several cross references I found said they should fit, Amazon being one if them. However, I was sure you knew what you were talking about. With a little more digging I verified that you were correct. Thank you for pointing that out!

• 1 year later...