Spark Plug question

Laughing Coyote

I pulled one of the spark plugs on the old Merc and it's labeled "Prestolite". Never heard of that brand. Could they be the original plugs? The wires are marked "Belden". When I pulled the rear wheels the factory stud drum clips were still on the drums. I'm beginig to think that the 89000 miles are the original miles.

If you're referring to the rectangular clips on the studs that hold the drums in place - I worked in a gas station for several years in the 60s and we always twisted them back on after replacing the brakes. And of course, the brakes would have been changed long before the 89,000 miles. Look at the wear on the brake pedal and maybe the carpet. Also, check when the last time it was registered. 89,000 is a reasonable number of miles on a '61.

Just looked at the photos and am guessing it is a "local" Western car with the paint fade. Lucky for you, unlike us "Northerners", you probably don't have much rust.

And... in reading the history of Prestolite, it seems they became "Autolite" in '63 if I read it right, which would indicate that the plugs could be original.

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)

AJFord54,

The brake pedal pad has very little wear. The brake pads are worn down to the rivets. I wouldn't of guessed back then they would put the clips back on since the wheel held the drum on anyway. Not much rust at all exept the trunk pan was shot. Someone bent the rear of the trunk lid and adjusted it out so it would shut. That's where all the waer went in at. I know about the cold. Lived in Michigan, Ohio, and Wyoming. That's why I live down south.

AJFord54,

The brake pedal pad has very little wear. The brake pads are worn down to the rivets. I wouldn't of guessed back then they would put the clips back on since the wheel held the drum on anyway. Not much rust at all exept the trunk pan was shot. Someone bent the rear of the trunk lid and adjusted it out so it would shut. That's where all the waer went in at. I know about the cold. Lived in Michigan, Ohio, and Wyoming. That's why I live down south.

Putting them back on was something we just did - just to be neat about it. Could very well be 89k - I don't think people drove as much back then as we do now. Is there a sticker on the windshield that says last time it was registered? My '54 was last registered in '65 and I keep it on there, next to the current registration. Fewer years on the road = less chance of high miles. Good luck with the restoration - the most enjoyable part is going around finding the parts you need. Mine took almost 20 years to get done, and it continues to be a work in progress.

The nice thing is that all the parts are on the car. Trim is in good shape just needs to be cleaned and new rubbers. Has the original glass. All FOMOCO etched in it. I found a bunch of paperwork in the glove box when I bought it. I have a bill of sale when an owner bought it in 1969 for $574.00. There also was a letter from his brother from home, a insurance sheet, a vehicle inspection from the Army post out here in Arizona, a cash advance he took out to send money home to his wife, and the cars owner manual from 61. All the paper work was dated early 1969. I know he was an Army troop and even had one of his stipes from his uniform. It's going to be restored to the original colors and configuration. It's so cool to buy a car and find out you got someone elses life from that period in time.

I am 99% sure that Ford products of that year came with Champion plugs. In 1964, Ford bought Autolite and they started using Autolite plugs until the Motorcraft brand was launched around 1972. Belden is a replacement ignition cable that, I believe, is still sold by NAPA.

Prestolite plugs are a new one on me. I suspect that they are older than the car.

It is great that you know some of the history of your car. Enjoy!

If you're referring to the rectangular clips on the studs that hold the drums in place - I worked in a gas station for several years in the 60s and we always twisted them back on after replacing the brakes. And of course, the brakes would have been changed long before the 89,000 miles. Look at the wear on the brake pedal and maybe the carpet. Also, check when the last time it was registered. 89,000 is a reasonable number of miles on a '61.

Just looked at the photos and am guessing it is a "local" Western car with the paint fade. Lucky for you, unlike us "Northerners", you probably don't have much rust.

And... in reading the history of Prestolite, it seems they became "Autolite" in '63 if I read it right, which would indicate that the plugs could be original.

I've go a 76 Olds that I bought new and it's got it's original rear wheel cylinders and shoes at 112,000 miles. As long as you flush the brake fluid once a year the hydraulic systems last a long time. I also have the original master cylinder and front calipers too.