1937 parking brake handle question????

vicpanza

Hoping that someone may have some info regarding the finish on a 1937 Dodge MC 1/2 ton pickup parking brake handle. I am doing a frame off restoration, and trying to be as exact as possible in replicating original finishes (yea...I know, and this will be the last one done to this level). In any event, this truck originally had a gray interior, including pedals, gear shift lever and parking brake handle. The top of the handle was shiny and I assumed that the gray paint had worn off and I was seeing the bare metal.

I was starting to glass bead the part this weekend, and discovered that the top of the handle had been chrome plated, and that only the bottom was painted (gray). I have attached several pictures that show this. I stopped with the glass beads so as not to completely remove all the finishes. Note the copper colored band below the chrome section, and above the gray.

I was wondering if anyone out there has seen this and can confirm this finish??? Appreciate any feedback on this before I do anything more.

Thanks

Vic

post-84354-143142280972_thumb.jpg

post-84354-143142280976_thumb.jpg

post-84354-14314228098_thumb.jpg

post-84354-143142280985_thumb.jpg

Hi Vic,

That handle looks identical to my '36 handle. The cars had the handgrip portion plated in bright nickel (I believe) and the lower portion painted black. I would imagine that this practice would carry over to the commercial line also to save labor and money. Since they manufactured more cars than commercial vehicles it wouldn't make sense to carry two different levers when all they had to do was to change paint color. I think the reason for the plated grip was to lessen the wear factor and aesthetics ; a painted grip would rub off very quickly and wouldn't look very nice although they did paint all the shift levers. Even Ford used the same finish on gearshift levers and brake levers in both cars and trucks ( with a few exceptions) from the Model A through the '30's. Just my 2 cents worth although I know I didn't answer your question. Sometimes on these little details there may be no definitive answer as assembly practices may vary between plants and regions depending on suppliers or the using up of old stock in the commercial lines as was the practice of most manufacturers. My opinion, when in doubt look at the evidence presented by the part, assuming of course that it is an original part.

I am nearly positive it would have been nickel as well, not sure when they started that practice but I do know late 20s early 30s used this fashion. I believe it was purely aesthetics

I am nearly positive it would have been nickel as well, not sure when they started that practice but I do know late 20s early 30s used this fashion. I believe it was purely aesthetics

Dogma on the Plymouth side of things for the '20s and '30s is that the exterior bright work is chrome plated but that the interior bright work is nickel plated.

That parking brake handle looks very similar to the one in my '33 Plymouth which definitely had nickel plating at the grip area and was painted black on the rest.

With respect to painting the shift level, there should be no issue with paint wear as there is a knob at the top of the lever.