Hot Rod Tractors

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I have stated my position on modifying cars already in other posts, but I would like your opinions on this.<P>In the teens and twenties, there were several companies that offered conversion packages to convert automobiles to farm tractors. Debates could go on forever about the quality of these kits or the final product, but the fact is, many people converted these cars to tractors for practical purposes.<P>Now, I realize that AACA does not recognize tractors, but give me your opinions. Is it a major shame that these cars were "butchered" way back in the twenties reulting in a loss of automotive history, or should one of these conversions be recognized as having historical significance itself? Bottom line: What would you think of the guy who "restored" one of these tractors to its newly converted condition?

dont forget the motorhome conversions. I'd like to have a '50's Cadillac motorhome conversion. The tractor thing is not my thing tho. I do have a rather well maintained original 51 TO20 Ferguson.

out on ebay or sumpthin' i saw a brochure depicting snow and bulldozer type tracks for a TO20. Indian produced snowmobiles and some kinda' snowmobile conversion kit for motysicles back in the 20's and 30's. Altho, they did not call them 'snowmobiles'.<P>I'd like to have a set tracks for the TO20.

My vote is for recognition as historically significant. This was a time when machinery was making people's lives easier. I think it comes under the same umbrella as a slide-in pickup box for a car's trunk.<P>As late as the mid 60s, a neighbor used a WWII surplus Ford Jeep as a tractor. Plowed, cultivated, did it all.<P>Occasionally you see one of these conversions at an antique tractor and machinery show. And those, for you who have never attended one, are as fascinating as anything we old car types put on. Where else could you find an old Maytag engine driving a pair of ice cream freezers? Or a Peerless running a big squirrel cage blower to keep its exhibitor cool in the North Carolina summer? or a monstrous Rumely OilPull or Case traction engine busting sod?<BR> cool.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

I enjoy seeing these conversions an old machinery shows. The unrestored, but still running ones are the best in my opinion.Back in the 1970's, there were two 40 or 50 HP Pope-Hartford car/tractor conversions that were sitting out at Knotts Berry Farm in California. My guess is that they are now restored touring cars. I know of one J Dusenberg that was restored from a truck conversion.

If you want to see a lot of old tractors and machines to include the maytag motors, come to Canandaigua, New York in next week. Every year they have this show called the "Pageant of Steam" They've got the maytag motors and all kinds of farm machinery from steam engines powered by "reins" to all kinds of old farm iron up through the years. As a matter of fact, while you're there, on Thursday night, they have a cruise night at one of the local supermarkets (Wegmans) just down the road. They usually get 200+ cars there every Thursday night during the summer and there is everything from Antiques, muscle cars, street rods, classics, motorcycles, you name it. They really have a lot of different and interesting stuff, and always a good crowd. If you or someone you know is coming up for the Nascar races at Watkins Glen and want some time away from the track, it's a 50 mile drive and there's some good stuff there. I'm not trying to talk you into visiting New York, but if you want to get out of the house for a couple of days or if you're in the area, pay them a visit. If it wasn't for being across the big pond, I'd be doing the same thing myself.