Wanted: Oil bath air cleaner for 1931 Plymouth PA

Patricks31ply

There is actually a tube from the carburetor that goes straight back into a box. Then another tube from the top of the box up to the air cleaner. I have a photo of the setup somewhere, but I cannot seem to locate it at the moment.

I did see this filter configuration on Hemmings (parts for sale)website. A gentleman in Ohio has it for a 32 PB which is the same motor and set-up as my 31. On the Plymouth Club site I was told that my 31 did not come with the oil bath. So if one at a reasonable price was to come along I would consider it. Otherwise I will stick with my current K&N filter and possible research a can to hide the K&N and look original. Thank you again for the advice and information you provide.

Guest DodgeKCL

The '31 PA came with a "dry" air cleaner as Keiser31 says. 99% of them were taken off and thrown away unfortunetly. They are a big box affair that stands up the firewall behind the carb. It seems all were replaced by their owners,for some unknown reason, with a small one similiar to the earlier '30U and '29. If you can find one they usually command a hefty price. I think the piece Keiser31 shows is the last piece on the top of an original. I think the "box" was an attempt at quieting down the "breathing" of the carb as the engine by this time had reached 56 hp. And I've now noticed you have a 1932 Carter BB-1 carb on your '31. The venturi should not be angled up. It should come straight out.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Interesting. It does have a Carter 1bbl which does appear to be the right hand picture. attachment.php?attachmentid=208861&d=1376589422&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=208859&d=1376589251&thumb=1

I do have the build card and it states the build date was Aug 15, 1931. The car has been in the family since she was purchased new so no idea how the 32 carb description is different from what is on her? A mystery for sure! Thanks for the info!

Guest DodgeKCL

It would follow this is why you're looking for the "big box" air cleaner for a '32 PB and are missing it for the original '31 PA? Someone at some time took off the original carb along with the air cleaner and installed the '32 BB-1 sans it's air cleaner. Both the '31 PA and the '32 PB aircleaners as well as the original '31 PA carb are now missing?

My posting was "air cleaner for a 31 PA". Just trying to identify, find, install what was original on my 31 PA. The tag on my Carter carb does match the 31 PA. So moving forward I will drive her with the modern air filter, K&N but when I'm showing her my thoughts are to have the original air cleaner assembly available so I can show her as original as possible. Thanks for the information again!

My PA has also been upgraded with a BB1 as it's a much superior carb. I do have the original air box on it with a slight angle added to the neck. I had an extra air cleaner, but I sold it a few years ago on eBay. I think it brought close to $300. Some PB cars had a stack on the air box. The owners manuals show the air cleaners.

• 2 weeks later...

I have restored a 32 PA and have had it for 40 years--both the 31 and 32 came through with brass bowl carbs--in 31 they used the air silencer that is pictured here to reduce noise,,,, in 32,,because of fires caused by motor backfireing,,the air intake came up over the head similer to a PB,,,,they were not oil bath---a PB unit will not fit on a PA,,,it is different------in the first picture in this thread the water pump tells me you may have a 30U motor--but can't see well and not shure I have some PA parts and rubber not able to go on AACA all the time so please contact at--bobnroman@yahoo.com