425 engine rebuild

coast

After 15 years I finally had my Riv on the road. 5 miles later, bad noise and knock. I am going to rebuild the motor. Any advice or thoughts on improvements I can make to the motor once torn down would be appreciated. I am thinking in regards to the cam, etc

THanks

Bob

Contact one of the professionals. Tell him what your ambitions are, how much you can spend, and follow his advice. Tom Telesco was mentioned above. Russ Martin lives in California. Carmen Faso does business in New York. They have the parts and the know how to make them work. You can buy cams, carbs, headers, roller rockers, etc. but if you don't know which ones work together and which offset each other, you'll just be spinning your wheels and throwing away a lot of money. In other words, there is no pat answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest midwestmonstas

I am looking to rebuild my 425 also. The engine was pulled yesterday, and it is scheduled to be shipped to Jaspers Engines in Jasper, Indiana this coming Friday. Now that I just read this post I'd like to talk to one of the experts mentioned above first to make sure I'm doing the right thing. How can I get in touch with someone? Thx, Kev

Guest midwestmonstas

Ok, cool. Sounds great. I will get with my mechanic and we will call Mr. Martin.

Thank you so much for the reply and the info. My mechanic is a Chevy man and I don't think he really knows too much about theae Nailheads.

One question I have,

What is a Roller Rocker?

What is a Roller Rocker?

A rocker arm that has rollers on the valve stem and push rod contact points instead of just a wear pad. Less friction = longer life, less wear.

Toms roller rockers also have a 1.6 to 1 ratio which yields a little more valve opening than a an OE rocker.

Ed

Guest midwestmonstas
A rocker arm that has rollers on the valve stem and push rod contact points instead of just a wear pad. Less friction = longer life, less wear.

Toms roller rockers also have a 1.6 to 1 ratio which yields a little more valve opening than a an OE rocker.

Ed

ok cool, thank you very much Ed, Now how do I contact Mr. Telesco to price and purchase? Kev

Ed

Also, less friction equals more power. win, win.

(203) 324-6045)

He's a great guy, easy to talk to, and a Nailhead encyclopedia

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest midwestmonstas
Also, less friction equals more power. win, win.

(203) 324-6045)

He's a great guy, easy to talk to, and a Nailhead encyclopedia

Thank you very much!