1941 Cadillac Series 62

Guest georgiepieman

Guest georgiepieman

Appreciate the information Dan...many thanks! I recently purchased the car and discovered it was losing coolant through the overflow tube. The cap that was installed was rated at 4lbs, which I believed may be incorrect. Unfortunately, none of the manuals supplied with the car listed the type or rating of the radiator pressure cap.

• 3 weeks later...

Just keep in mind that as the system heats up, the coolant WILL EXPAND and push excess out the overflow. When the system cools down and you look to see if it is "full" it will NOT be "full" to the top. I am surprised at how many owners keep a jug of water in the car to top it off every time they stop and it cools off. IN MUCH LATER YEARS, this is why they came up with the recovery type system that incorporates the remote reservoir and the recover type pressure cap. This system will remain full to the top.. NO EARLY SYSTEM WILL REMAIN FULL TO THE TOP

Just sayin'

Guest georgiepieman
Just keep in mind that as the system heats up, the coolant WILL EXPAND and push excess out the overflow. When the system cools down and you look to see if it is "full" it will NOT be "full" to the top. I am surprised at how many owners keep a jug of water in the car to top it off every time they stop and it cools off. IN MUCH LATER YEARS, this is why they came up with the recovery type system that incorporates the remote reservoir and the recover type pressure cap. This system will remain full to the top.. NO EARLY SYSTEM WILL REMAIN FULL TO THE TOP

Just sayin'

Good info., & thanks for passing on! I like to leave a 1 inch expansion gap between the bottom of the radiator filler neck tube & the coolant. Now I have the right cap on the radiator system (which in this instance is pressurized) the problem appears to be fixed.