1932 generator removal

Guest dhorner

Guest dhorner

Besides the 3 bolts holding the generator to the engine front housing, what else holds it on. Does the front cover have to be removed from the engine? I need to replace the brushes and springs in the generator. Is there a nut going through a gear in the timing chain components? Help

Guest dhorner
Besides the 3 bolts holding the generator to the engine front housing, what else holds it on. Does the front cover have to be removed from the engine? I need to replace the brushes and springs in the generator. Is there a nut going through a gear in the timing chain components? Help

I should have said I'm working on a 1932 Buick series 50 4dr sedan straight eight.

There's no timing chain. The cam and generator ar geardriven. The generator gear is a helix gear. You must remove the water pump and the 3 bolts the generator will need to be moved rearward about 2 inches to clear the bore the generator is mounted in. The generator armature needs to turn as the generator moves rearward due to the helix on the gear.

Bob

• 5 years later...

Revisiting this old thread for any other additional input.  I have removed the 3 bolts from the generator.  The bottom bolt is loose but will not clear the bottom radiator  cast flange.  I don't believe this should be a problem since the bolt is far enough back to have completely disengaged the generator.   Removed the water pump and distributor for safety.   I can with prying the generator feel a little movement and also hear and see the output shaft to the water pump move some.   Other than that the generator will not separate from the front motor mount housing.   I have pried pretty hard but don't want to damage anything.  I tried rotating the out put shaft from the generator while prying but no luck.   Can I cause damage by getting aggressive with prying?  I know the out put shaft has to be rotated once the generator starts to separate from its mounting.  Any suggestions???   or just get a bigger hammer.....

Thanks,   

The attached photos show that you need to move the generator assembly rearward about an inch to clear the bore.  It is a close sliding fit.  Try rotating the generator assembly to break it loose from years of crude and heat.  

Bob Engle

20190729_110458_1024x768.jpg

20190729_110505_1024x768.jpg

20190729_110704_1024x768.jpg

Here was the problem.   Never under estimate the problem of previous shoddy workmanship.    I guess this person never learned the basics of how to make a proper gasket, they just cement things together with RTV.   

Generator.JPG