American Cars 4 Sale in Argentina

StillOutThere

There are many old American collector cars for sale on various web pages in Argentina, South America. Some are dealers, brokers, others are listing sites for individual sellers. Cars range from Classics to parts cars and should-be-junked to full restorations and rebodied race cars.

Has anyone bought a car down there and brought it up to the US?

Did you personally go to see the car?

Are there any English-speaking agents or appraisers that can be of assistance?

Can an escrow be set up as here so that money isn't just sent into a black hole?

Comments welcome of good and bad experiences, suggestions.

Thanks!

Can someone more organized than I find the auction cat for B,P,Mosher,,15-20?? years ago,,

He visited all the east coast friends week after Hershey,,We bough dinner alternate years,,

I outdid him,,Did dinner for ,85 cents,,each,,and he was full,,Where did that Hotchkiss go,Ben

There are many old American collector cars for sale on various web pages in Argentina, South America. Some are dealers, brokers, others are listing sites for individual sellers. Cars range from Classics to parts cars and should-be-junked to full restorations and rebodied race cars.

Has anyone bought a car down there and brought it up to the US?

Did you personally go to see the car?

Are there any English-speaking agents or appraisers that can be of assistance?

Can an escrow be set up as here so that money isn't just sent into a black hole?

Comments welcome of good and bad experiences, suggestions.

Thanks!

I wouldn't wish a South American car on my worst enemy! You don't know what worn out is until you see how these cars are used up. Go watch the movie " Money Pit" and then imagine something ten times worse!!

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

I once took apart a late 30's Cadillac that had come from Argentina....it was as if someone before me had put all fasteners, nuts bolts screws, into a big bucket, and then pulled them out at random when a fastener was needed. What a mess, so be careful of cars that come from the waysouth......

Worked on multiple cars from down there, Model A water pump broke in 7 pieces and welded back together, brake drums so thin they welded bands of steel on and kept going, holes stripped out and drilled 2 or 3 sizes over, and my personal favorite intake and exhaust manifold studs broken off in the block, just move everything over and redrill no need for port alignment! I could go on forever, so bad we rarely reused anything mechanical and were always forced to buy a very complete parts car to transfer the horrendously altered body to!

Howard Dennis

The sheet metal generally fares well in the California-like climate.

That's what we thought too, turns out rust wasn't the problem. They just can't drive! Usually we ended up throwing away all 4 fenders. After getting through the 15 house paint coverings and 1/4 to 1/2 inche of lead and bondo to expose that rust free sheetmetal we found more welds than the battleship New Jersey! This is where their real talent lies in being able to hand hammer any old piece of metal into a quarter panel. Trouble is when it's all done it's as rough as those hammered aluminum dishes so popular during the 1950's. No way to properly restore this mess just re-bury it in bondo hope nobody ever sees how bad it really was. If someone could have just taught these guys how to metal finish then they would have some real skills.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)