Accelrator start issue when hot.

Guest Restomod

Guest Restomod

I'm new to the forum and hoping to gain some incite here. I have a '56 Special with accelerator start feature which works when cold. After the engine runs, even for a few minutes, it will not re-engage the starter. I replaced the ground battery cable and two hot cables from battery to terminal block on the driver side inner fender and from terminal block to the starter solenoid. I also cleaned all involved terminals including the low amp terminals on the solenoid. Still same issue. The car battery is new. I was thinking the starter solenoid may be sticking or drawing too many amps when warm and have ordered a replacement from Rock Auto (nice that they have them in stock). Does this sounds reasonable? Unfortunately I was working alone and did not have a meter at the time to test whether voltage was getting to the solenoid. Looking at the wiring diagram, I thought it could also be the solenoid relay. Is that the relay located on the driver's side fender apron near the battery terminal block? Does anyone know a source for a replacement solenoid relay?

Thanks.

Guest Restomod

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned I did make sure the transmission was in park. I even tried it in neutral (assuming the start function works in neutral as well). The interesting thing is that the car will start and then not start even when I don't shift or move the car. I'm puzzled since I do not have to have the car run very long and don't think of heat soak being an issue unless the car is running for a longer period of time. Makes me wonder about the starter relay beginning to go. I suppose I could jump the carburetor vacuum switch to take it out of the equation.

I have, on occasion, just removed the two wires to the carb switch and firmly touched them together to

start the car; this was when the ball/vacuum switch on the carb failed.

If it fires/engages the starter after doing this you've got a bad switch. IF so, Just wire in a monetary contact switch

until you fix it or get a replacement.

mike

Jumping across the wires on the carb is a good idea, but be careful since they are not fuse protected...if they are shorted to ground, it will nearly instantly fry your wiring harness. :eek:

If that does not work, jump 12v+ to the black wire on the starter relay (goes to the solenoid) and report back (turn the key on so it keeps running after cranking and be sure the car is in park since this bypassed the safety start switch.

Willie