Purchased nice 1996 Riviera, seeking best interior wood kit and factory chrome wheels

Centurion

I'm a long-time Buick enthusiast and BCA member, and have just purchased my first-ever Riviera. The car is a beautiful, 51,000-mile example, always garaged and maintained.

The car is the normally aspirated (non-supercharged) version, which was my preference, and it wears the rather plain, flat aluminum wheels. I would prefer the more attractive chrome-plated wheels that were offered for the '95 - '99 Riviera. I did not see any of these listed on Ebay, but wonder whether anyone here is aware of reputable vendors who purchase and refinish these wheels.

Secondly, the car has never been fitted with one of the aftermarket interior wood kits, and I've been encouraged to consider adding one of these kits. While I don't mind the interior as originally built, it is true that the dash is a large expanse of plastic. Any thoughts on these kits? Any photos of them installed in cars? And, once again, any recommendation for reputable vendors?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. - Should I be concerned about the 3800 Series II plastic intake manifold issue? Should I take a preemptive step to address this issue now, rather than face potential problems down the road?

For the wheels, they are out there now and then. If you don't find any on eBay you might try car-part.com, that might at least give you a starting point? The seven spoke chrome in decent condition generally start around $200 ea. And, the center caps were available a while back new for around $80-$100.

For the dash kit the general consensus is that Sherwood makes the best kits, normally a very good fit and finish.

With that low of miles I would not think the intake will be a problem for a while, something to keep in mind though.

HTH

This is what the Sherwood kit looks like in a '95 ...

post-47994-143142225619_thumb.jpg

Mine has been in for around 13 years and still looks good, there are a few "very tiny" marks in it but they are hardly noticeable. The '96-'99 kits are a bit different because of the difference with the dash, '95 was the only year the radio and HVAC controls were "recessed". I looked around for quite a while because I wanted to have one piece across the main dash panel instead of the two side pieces and the three little "strips" that tied them together.

Good luck,

Beautiful, Randall! Thanks so much for sharing that interior photo. Did you find it reasonably easy to install correctly? If you apply something without lining it up precisely, is it possible to quickly remove it and re-apply?

I have seen the Sherwood kits offered online.

Guest wildcat465

Brian, glad to see you added a Riv to your collection.

The bright chrome wheels are also found on some similar year Park Aves. The center cap is the difficult thing to find for these wheels, they are not very durable.

Run the car until you have a problem, then replace the plastic plenum. The thing to remember when it is time to replace it is to make sure you use the EGR tube in the kit, it is narrower and keeps the new plenum from melting again. It is not a bad job to do at home.

You should enjoy driving your new Buick!

Beautiful, Randall! Thanks so much for sharing that interior photo. Did you find it reasonably easy to install correctly? If you apply something without lining it up precisely, is it possible to quickly remove it and re-apply?

I have seen the Sherwood kits offered online.

Thanks ...

When I installed mine I removed every piece from the car that was getting an applique installed on it, it was quite a bit easier that way. I did the same for another members '99 Riv in the parking lot at the hotel in 2010 at the Hershey meet, I wasn't able to complete the doors though, and spent right around five hours on it. But, I have had these dash and console parts out of several cars over the years.

You have to be SURE to install it correctly the FIRST time! You prep the parts with an adhesion promoter and VERY carefully apply the kit parts, it is possible to remove if it is a "very" small amount touching, but for the most part, where it hits is where it stays! And, you have to be careful not to get air bubbles under it too.

There are horror stories of people that used kits other than Sherwood on the RivPerformance forum, you can look there if you would like. You can search it pretty easily or let me know if you want a link.

Edited by Rivman
Added text (see edit history)

The wheels/rims you are looking for were first used on 1991 Reattas but were painted (technically the 1990 Select Sixty was the first usage)

Riviera used the painted version in '92-93 on cars with the Touring option. When the new '95 Riviera came out the chrome version became available and they were optional on 1998-99 Park Avenues and LeSabres. Try and get the hub caps with the wheels because they can cost as much as a wheel when purchased separately.