HELP! Stuck Flexplate

dhaven64

Hi all. Back again with another problem with my 64 Riviera. I'm attempting to separate the transmission from the motor (425) and have everything ready to pull the engine to have it rebuilt, but I can't get the Flexplate to move to access the last two bolts. Tried attaching a socket to the crankshaft pulley and it turned clockwise about 10 degrees but won't budge past that. Anything I might have missed?? Thanks in advance.

So the engine won't turn a full revolution. If that is the case you need to remove the engine and transmission in one piece. It has to go WAY up to clear the core support and the crossmember at the same time. Put the front wheels on a spare pair of rims to get it up. Then attach a cherry picker to the front of center so the transmission points almost straight down when you lift.

Two guys should help lift the tailshaft over the core support. Don't kill anyone.

Since it is a 400 transmission you can take the bell housing bolts out and separate it. The torque converter just slides in. You can't separate a Dynaflow that way. In the Dynaflow case you have to take the crank out of the engine.

I've done both. Around 1972 I bought a '62 Electra convertible with melted pistons. Its a bear.

Bernie