65 rustoration..... shop day 1

Guest slacker1965

Guest slacker1965

OK kinda shop day one, I'm not counting stripping the parts car...... anyways, here is one basic '65 with no rust in 1/4's rockers & floorpans. trunk floor sucks, interior is gutted. some genius did sand on some of the exterior & let it sit, so there will be that to address.... like I said, I stripped down a donor car so I have most of what I will need to make a driver.... idea here is to get the car in driver shape, then finish things or sell it as a running, driving project with all the mechanicals professionally done. next, I'm gonna assess the wiring & remove the heater core & have it done, along with the gas tank & radiator....some sandin, cleanin & black paintin l8r I will put the donor 401 in...wish me luck

post-82053-143142218062_thumb.jpg

Guest atomickneedrop

Nicely done so far. I guess I need to send you the paint. Don't forget to check the wiper motor and pump for the washer. Good luck brother! Get er done

Guest slacker1965
I would pull those inner fenders and the core support off to get good access to the frame and allow you to clean and paint everything. You'll be glad that you did. . .It's an easy tear down.

I agree whole heartily.... I didn't have time to get that far..... just a few hours of work..... this car isn't worth the whole body off frame mambo....

for those of you in the know, is it possible to change out any/all of the zillion a/c lines & vacuum lines with the motor in? I have very limited shop space & need to get the motor in pronto.....

I will not initially hook up the a/c, but I do want to have everything there for the next owner or myself that isn't accessible w engine in.

I think that vintage air is the way to go, just don't have the xtra bucks. I have the complete a/c system, but by the time you ck out/rebuild the compressor, ck the evap & condenser, put in a new dryer, chase all down the orings, vac cans, deal w/50 year old lines etc etc, I can't see how you can come out.

The vacuum lines can be changed, with patience. The easiest way is to remove the console and then reinstall it.

The hoses are complicated and color coded. When I replaced mine I removed a four foot vacuum hose bundle from the dash of a 1969 Cadillac. There was enough length and assortment of colored tracers to do a pretty faithful job.

The least expensive way to restore is to use the original equipment. If it is just an old driver what some call a rat rod, any array of aftermarket parts would be fine. If you want to sell it as a collector quality Buick Riviera someday an appraiser would evaluate it "1965 Riviera- missing A/C components." and deduct the cost of a correct installation. I've seen that upset a seller.

Bernie

Kevin,

Good luck with it!

I'll bring my latest '65 down to you when you finish so you can give it the same treatment? I am going to try and work on my '72 right now so it will probably be a while before I get to the '65.

Let me know when you are ready for it?

Guest slacker1965
Kevin,

Good luck with it!

I'll bring my latest '65 down to you when you finish so you can give it the same treatment? I am going to try and work on my '72 right now so it will probably be a while before I get to the '65.

Let me know when you are ready for it?

jus email me slacker1965@juno.com

thanks

ks