Need new coil that has ballast resistor

Guest Brandonkr

Guest Brandonkr

Hi everyone, Im 17 years old and just bought a 1949 Packard for a winter project, Im not getting any spark out of the coil, but there's power at the + and - on the coil. So I thought it would be easy to buy just a 6v coil and replace the old one, but the ones I found had only the normal - and + on it. The coil that is in it and is bad has the + and - plus two screw holes where a ballast resistor is( which looks like a small heating element but was told its the resistor), so my question is how do I go about buying a coil, can I just buy a 6v coil without a resistor, or can I buy a 6v coil and add a plastic ballast resistor? If I have to add a ballast resistor how would I install it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just stumped right now and don't know what to do next. Thanks for your time.

Make sure the points and condenser are working properly before replacing the coil. The points have to open for the coil to make spark. Good luck with your new project and congratulations for working on a car like a Packard!

Terry

If the car is still 6v, there is no ballast resistor. The coil is fed directly from the ignition switch. 6v cars and coils are very unforgiving of any low voltages. The starter pulls a lot of current so can produce a voltage drop. To counter that make sure the battery cables are large --originals are best but if replaced, not the typical sizes found in modern cars. Use 0 gauge or better yet 00 gauge. Make sure terminals and all connections are clean and the battery is of sufficient size and at full charge.

You mentioned voltage on both + and - terminals of the coil. The voltage on the terminal going to distributor should go away if the points are closing to ground. If that doesn't happen and the car has been sitting, there is a good chance the points have oxidized. Clean those with a light pass of a point file or crocus cloth or even some rough heavy paper. Don't use emory or sandpaper because it can leave a grit embedded in the contacts.

You can rule out a coil problem by taking the wire off the distributor and touching it directly to the block. Have the high tension lead fairly close to the block. If the coil is good you should be able to get a spark. Just remember that 6v sparks are not robust. It will be a short yellowish spark, not the big blue sparks that jump an inch on modern cars. If you do need a coil, the universal 6v coil from Napa works very well.

Guest Brandonkr

Ok, thank you guys for answering my questions they were a great help, I will make sure the points and condenser are working before getting a new coil. So 6v systems don't require a ballast resister? Thanks again for your time.

-Brandon