Where to put fuel filter?

Beltfed

I'm plumbing the fuel lines now that you guys helped me solve my fuel pump issue. Do I run a fuel filter? If so, where did you put yours? In front of the fuel pump or between the pump and carb? The original setup had a plastic one between the pump and carb and it just looks ugly. I just have a feeling that a 75 year old gas tank will have junk in it. Thanks.

Guest 65Starfire

Put the filter before the pump. The pump has valves and chambers in it that do not like trash any more than the carb.

Feel the same as both of them. Had a lot of rust problems 20 yrs ago. It will never clear up if don't seal. Local Parma Radiator was known for sandblasting the inside of collector car tank and coating. They know how to do it without blowing themselves up! Cut holes in my baffles to blast and get entire inside clean. Then an epoxy looking coating in/out that has held up for 20+ years with no problems. I put on a clear in-line filter just after tank near back axle. Was worried about restriction on the suction side of pump rather than pressurized discharge would cause problems. But has worked great, still nothing in clear filter since. You might try to find a similar radiator shop near you.