Wheel Adapters

Guest 3 Tone

Has anyone used wheel adapters. I'd like to put custom wheels on my 55 Special. Will wheel adapters mount with the "lug bolts" and alow me to use mag style wheels that require a stud and nut system? What mods are required to use adapters?

I suspect the wheel adapters will be configured to use lug nuts with their conical/countersunk sort of interface. ONE issue with wheel adapters, other than when used on "lug bolt" vehicles, is that there reputedly were "lug nut loosening" issues in times past. Perhaps this was a "first time used" situation, similar to what a custom wheel website mentioned about doing a "break-in drive" and then a full lug nut re-torque before driving the car with the new wheels "for real".

The OTHER thing about wheel adapters is that they will usually be "wheel spacers", too, which means you'll need more "backspacing" on your custom wheels than what would normally be needed. THIS can result in some little-used part numbers of wheels that might also run up the ultimate price. THEN, if you decided you didn't like them (for whatever reason), you'd need sell the wheels/adapters as a matched set to another lug-bolt vehicle owner . . . which CAN be a very limited market.

End result is that I suspect you'd be much better off converting the vehicle to "lug studs", in the long run. Not unlike earlier Mopar people converting their vehicles to the later-style lug stud/nut threads (no more rh and lh threads!). Wheel choice can be much better, too, even from some later model factory wheels.

Other thoughts?

NTX5467

Check the clearance you now have with your stock wheels. Compare your OEM wheels for offset and back spacing with the wheels you want to mount then take into consideration the thickness of the spacer/adapter. You will most assuredly have to drill a hole in the back of the spacer/adapter for the locating pins but I don't think that you'll have a problem using the lug bolts; they have a conical shape to them just like a lug nut does. In fact you might be better off because you won't have the stud sticking out into the spacer/adapter. To make sure, take a lug bolt with you to a local speed shop and see how they mesh.

Ed

I have given thought to installing studs. I'm thinking I'd have to drill the axles/hubs for the studs to have the right size hole to seat in to. If I do a disc brake conversion on the front the rear would be the only ones needing drilled.

Guest ole buick

To install studs, can't you use a Grade 8 stud without a head on either end. Screw one end in to the thread on the hub, lock tight it. Then put your wheel on and put lug nuts on. Those type studs are easy to find.

Guest 3 Tone

Gave that some thought but haven't tried to find the required left hand thread studs.

Side note, Donald you have a very nice city. I was there a few weeks back to see my grand daughter get married to a fine young man in the army. They live in Clarksville next time we are there to visit we may have to meet up for some Buick talk.

Guest ole buick

We would love to meet you, we have several spare bedrooms and welcome you to stay here. Also, if your grandaughter ever needs anything while her husband is deployed she can call me and I will do anything I can to assist her. I am retired so I am at home most of the time. 931-358-0469.

Guest 3 Tone

Donald, you prove what I've always said cars are cool but car people are the coolest. I will add you number to my contact list, thanks.