2014 Riviera?

Desmc14

Not much different than the 2007 Concept

Or more of the same from 2009

I had to laugh when the promo at the beginning of the clip said it was inspired by Rivieras from the past. LOL I saw nothing unless it was the fact that it had four round tires.

In my humble opinion, the only way a new Buick Riviera can compete against all of the other cookie cutter cars would be if it is done in some retro styling to resemble a first generation Riviera, a 66/67 Riv, or a boat tail. The ones that every non Riviera owner thinks of when you mention you have an older one. Ford is doing it with their Mustang, Chevy is doing it with their Camaro, and Chrysler is doing with their Dodge Challenger. Plus it would have to be able to compete in the horsepower wars with these cars as well. But you can never tell; Buick might do anything to keep their Chinese fans happy.

Ed

Buick isn't gonna do anything over here that will even come close to the past generations. Last I heard it would probably be a 4 door at that! GM doesn't have the cojones to make a Real Good Riviera nor do they believe Cadillac owners can spell a car name longer than 3 letters...

The new Grand National is still a 4 door sedan; an old name on an existing chassis with some added hp. As Jayson said earlier, Buick doesn't have the cajones to make a true luxury/sports car. Anyone wanting to buy GM and thinking that way will buy something that Cadillac is now offering or step down to a Camaro for an affordable performance package. GM only brought back the Camaro after seeing what Ford did with its retro Mustang. There's too small of a niche for GM to build something that wouldn't be attractive to a very large market.

If something like these concept cars do go into production with a Riviera name plate, I'd bet that we'd only see it in the Asian market; it would never set foot in the U.S. If it's not on a drawing board now, you won't see anything until probably 2018 - 2020. GM has always had "styling exercises" at the big auto shows that have never gone into production.

I would imagine that the copyright to the Riviera name was about to expire and GM needed to renew the copyright to keep from losing it. They probably used the name on this concept because it was recognizable. Did anyone see that the "2014 Riviera" was ever shown at a show in the U.S.? You can cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)