46 Roadmaster clutch plate won't release

46Chris

The clutch plate won't release from the flywheel on my '46 Roadmaster. My mechanic has restored and worked on a number of 40's Buicks, and he hasn't seen this problem before. The entire assembly was replaced with Bob's Automobilia parts less than 1000 miles ago, rear main replaced and flywheel resurfaced. I put the car away in good running order last fall, and started/moved it in the shop a few times this last winter with no issues. Come spring, the problem just appeared. This is the first I've had a chance to get it up to my mechanic's shop and on a hoist.

We've started it in gear on the hoist and tapped the brake a number of times (both slowing it and killing the motor), thinking that would free it up. No change.

Can't get at the clutch plate without pulling back the pressure plate. Seems that the next step will be pulling it apart, so I was hoping another big straight 8 owner had encountered this problem at some point.

Thanks, Chris

Be sure the throw out bearing is actually sliding on the transmission collar. Sometimes they rust up there and are in need some penetrant and a little tapping with a long drift punch. It may not really be stuck to the flywheel; just not disengaging. I have found that.

Next, back off the pressure plate bolts without removing them. Just back off evenly until the pressure is relieved. Then tap it so see if you can get it to wiggle.

My money would be on the stuck throw out bearing.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, the TOB is free. Going to try loosening and tapping again, or remove the fork to get more room to slide the PP back. PP completely encloses the clutch plate. No chance of any prying unless the PP is backed up enough.

Thanks for the advice, will report back!

Chris

Be sure the throw out bearing is actually sliding on the transmission collar. Sometimes they rust up there and are in need some penetrant and a little tapping with a long drift punch. It may not really be stuck to the flywheel; just not disengaging. I have found that.

Next, back off the pressure plate bolts without removing them. Just back off evenly until the pressure is relieved. Then tap it so see if you can get it to wiggle.

My money would be on the stuck throw out bearing.

Bernie

Hi Bernie, Many thanks for the fix. We loosened the pressure plate bolts, and there was a "snap!" and the plate broke free. I'm going to leave the clutch pedal depressed over the winter.

Thanks, Chris

I have known of times where the plate was stuck to the flywheel, and also the pressure plate, I am going to assume that the SNAP you heard freed both, that is IF the disk was stuck to both.

It can be a dangerous issue, the car starts, and takes off, and pushing the clutch in doesn't stop the car. Been there done that. Not a fun experience, for sure.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy