fusable link

Guest 88reattacoupe

Guest Mc_Reatta
Can anyone tell me how to locate the fusable link that powers the cooling fans?

In an 89, that would be link "A" which is black colored connected to a red and an orange wire, and located in the red junction box behind the battery by the overflow tank.

Would imagine an 88 to be the same.

Rarely go bad, what's your symptoms?

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Guest 88reattacoupe

Went down this morning and disconnected the wires in the little red box behind the battery. Could not find a red, orange, and black. found a blue, and black. And a red, and black. And a black, red, red. My sympton is, the fans don't run at any time. I have swapped both, the EMC and the BMC with unit from Jim Finn. Needed to have extras anyway. Have moved around breakers with known good ones. Still no fans. Also, powered the puller fan by jumping from 12v source. It worked. I'm assuming that if my temp gauge moves up, then the sending unit must be good. Now I feel like the dog who caught the car. I now realize that I don't know what a fusible link is. Is it like a fuse, in that it burns and produces an open? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Are you looking at that location shown in the photo below? The fusible link is just a cylinder shaped bulge in the wire near where it connects to the junction box. When it gets overloaded it burns out and must be replaced. It is pretty rare for that to happen. I will look at the FSM and see if I can offer some help with finding your problem.

post-52331-143142178792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley

In all of my diagnosis work, I have never encountered a bad fusible link. However, I have checked the external power junction box referenced in an earlier post and have not been able to trace them very far. I see the black item mentioned above but no such subsequent color defining wiring. Perhaps just a bit further down in the harnesses and I have had the same question with ID'ing them.

Kingsley

Guest Mc_Reatta

Seriously doubt the fuseable link is your problem. They are easy enough to check with any DVM or test light though.

Do you have a code E026 Quad Driver Fault when you check trouble codes? This is a giveaway you have a bad fuse or relay coil. If not, fuseable link and fuse are OK, problem is then probably a relay or motors.

The most common failure that won't set a code is one or more relays with dirty contacts. There are 3 used for the fans and they are located in the underhood relay center over by the windshield washer reservoir.

Swap those relays around and see if you can get them running. You can use the ECM Override function in diagnostics to force the fans on in low and high speed mode to verify their operation. (ES07 and 08)

I haven't got a handle on how it is being determined the fan(s) are not working. We really need more details about the symptoms to do a good job of troubleshooting the problem. The best way to test the fans is by using the onboard diagnostics as Mc suggested.

If the symptom is the fan isn't running in slow speed when the AC is turned on... the problem could be that the ballast resistor ('88 models only) in the circuit is defective. The photo below is of the resistor on my car. It has a jumper added to make the fan run in high speed anytime the AC is on to help with cooling while sitting in traffic.

post-52331-143142179467_thumb.jpg

Guest 88reattacoupe

Thanks guys for your help. I stuck a needle through the insulation on each of the wires, down from the fusable link, and each one tested about 12.25v. So, its not a fusable link. Ronnie! I swapped the fuse from my 89 and still had the same result. Its not the fuse. Mc_Reatta! I was able to get the puller fan to come on, by going through the diagnostics, but not the pusher fan. I pulled the pusher fan and managed to burn it out. It ran when I jumped it first, the right way. And then out of curiosity, I reversed The leads and quickly generated a lot of heat and smoke. After that it would not turn the right way. I'm now in the market for a pusher fan. Even though I burned the pusher fan out, it did work. But, anyway, I guess I'll have to wait until I replace it to go further. Thanks for the help.