1938 Buick sedan, a lead on Craigslist car, not mine, Winchester VA location

Guest Henry White

Guest Henry White

Not mine, I dont know any more than what's in the ad. 1938 Buick sedan in Winchester VA area on CL for $2500.00 and it is not mint. But if you need a front clip it's probably worth buying. I hope it gets saved. No linky on this comp, sorry

Guest Henry White

They can crush the car and get about $400.00 Anyone who needs parts and wouldnt pay the price will likely do without. $500.00 dont buy much these days.

I only know a couple of folks doing full on projects. There are probably not any hobbyists doing restorations on 1938 Specials (assuming that is what this is). Reason is cost. This car probably does have a lot of value as a parts car but it would need someone within - say - 200 miles to justify gas cost and time to go pick it up. $2500 is way too high, and based on who knows what? The old argument that the car has a lot of value in parts requires demand for those parts. I disagree on the $500 doesn't buy much anymore. The project vehicles I have recently purchased - all complete non running "solid" projects were purchased for $500, $700, $1000, $1200, and $1500. I recently posted a few old Buicks found on CL here for $1000 obo, $1250 obo, $1500 obo and so on. NOBODY is doing projects doesn't mean somebody somewhere isn't. It is accurate though. I'm 49, almost 50. When I was 10 years old, I could ride my bike around town at dusk, say 8:30pm on a weekday and see garages all lit up with guys in there working on their projects. I could literally bike around, pull into driveways and observe "project cars" being brought back to life, different brands. Now, the salt and pepper haired boomers cut a check and hand it to the old car dealer and there "you could eat off of it" garage floor gets a Corchevystang dropped off a week later.

Guest Henry White

Prices must be really low in Iowa. $2500 aint diddly here.

There may be full on projects somewhere which you are unaware of. I was trying to help those folks. Sorry if it doesnt fit your budget.

I skipped the salt n pepper boomer stage and went right to bald. All the money I saved on haircuts I used to buy old cars.

Since I was 12 there have been very few months when I have not owned a major project car. When things are all together and your job is just custodian all the day dreaming, the planning, the learning, the searching, and those special nuances of ownership go away.

I'm looking now. Two days ago I called about a 1940 Cadillac 60S that I got my eye on in the early '90's. It has been well stored and still available. These are cars that may never get done. I parse out the time and money I can from the rest and otherwise they occupy the back of the garage and my mind with a special shape. That's enough for me.

A while back I bought one of those cars for around $2,000. We have a psychiatric councilor in town. I told my wife I'd have to spend a lot more than two grand with him to feel as good as I did owning that car. I got feeling good, saw a chance to make a few bucks, and now I'm hunting again. Ahh, the thrill of the hunt and knowing mental health, though fleeting, is so achievable.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I bet it has a different front end under it as if you look at the interior shot of the steering wheel it has a tilt wheel column from a newer era.

Prices must be really low in Iowa. $2500 aint diddly here.

There may be full on projects somewhere which you are unaware of. I was trying to help those folks. Sorry if it doesnt fit your budget.

Henry, no issues. Since you posted as a 3rd party, I just thought I would comment. I overpaid on a few of my projects in the past few years but not often. I used to think, after identifying a car/model I wanted, that when I found the 1st one to BUY IT because another one may not come around any time soon. I figured out over the years that generally speaking there are plenty of cars still out there. Last year I bought a 1936 Roadmaster out of eastern Pennsylvania for $1000. That's fairly close to this ad area. The ONE car I have not been able to find plentifully is a 1961 Electra 2 door hardtop. They are pretty rare.

Guest Rob McDonald
tilt wheel column from a newer era.

Sharp eye. The Vega-like steering wheel is just as dusty as the rest of the dash, so I missed that "improvement".

"they occupy the back of the garage and my mind with a special shape" - BERNIE, I get that. Mere ownership of a favourite old car has value all on its own, even with slim chance of ever finishing the project. That's kept me interested in my Buick for decades, literally, and explains why I now also have the remains of a first-gen Valiant. I'm even considering the purchase of another pair of rare cars; one is a project, the other is parts. I know I'll never do anything with them but the simple pleasure of caring for them and arresting their further deterioration would be enough to justify the thousand bucks it would take to bring them home.