89 Reatta AC

sosuzguy

My AC is now blowing warm air! While it's getting some stuff done the AC guy checked it out. They said it wasn't converter properly or completely. To get it fixed correctly replace all seals, evaporator, condenser and dryer---at a cost of about $2500-$3000!!! OMG that is a paint job! I just can't imagine what in the world all the cost is.

So anyone have any experience with this? With my others cars 80's Riv converting them only made them cool inefficiently. I will say when it cooled up to a month ago it cooled just fine for me the way it was with R134 in it. Maybe cause it's a smaller car to cool.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Fall tuition is due and they want you to pay it off for them.

Then only reason to replace an evaporator or condenser is if they are leaking. Otherwise they are just flushed, if the compressor died a black death, it's best to remove the condenser and flush out of the car. Getting the evaporator out is just too much labor so it is flushed in place along with all the lines.

The only parts that are routinely replaced are the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube and associated o-rings. The flexible lines from the compressor with the filter/muffler can be replaced or flushed in both directions. There will be a lot of debris in the filter in the case of black death, so make sure to flush it very well.

All totaled, if the only the standard parts need to be replaced job should run from $600 to $1,000 depending on shop rates.

Just went through this myself about a week ago. My 89 AC system had died and at the time I just did the serpentine belt bypass as the AC clutch was fried (at the time was not sure if just an AC clutch failure or a compressor failure that then burned up the clutch). I made the decision to go with a new compressor, accumulator, and variable orifice. Getting the old compressor out was a pain due to bolt placement, but doable. I rented the flushing equipment and did a thorough flush of the evaporator, condenser, muffler and all the lines.

All totaled, I spent about $550 on the project.

David T.

Guest Corvanti

the price you were quoted reminds me of Hercules brother: Redicculeez! :P

run (don't walk) away! get a 2nd or 3rd opinion... i see you live in Dallas, so there's plenty of options - and remember the labor rates quoted in the above posts differ across the country. not to mention what neighborhood you go to in the DFW area.:)