best step by step motor removal book for 1947 buick

jerry house

I have the shop manual but it did not have the basic info on how to remove the motor I:E 1st disconect battery ect thanks for any help contact me at housejerry127@yahoo.com

Not to oversimplify this, but it's pretty much common sense on a car that old. Other than pulling the battery cables first, the order that you disconnect everything is not that critical. Just be sure everything between the motor and car is disconnected before you start lifting. That includes wiring, ground straps, fuel line, throttle linkage, exhaust, radiator and heater hoses, bellhousing bolts, etc. If this is a manual trans car it's probably easier to pull the trans with the engine, so clutch linkage, shift linkage, and driveshaft need to go. You'll also find that the radiator needs to come out first. It's usually best to remove the accessories from the motor (fan, generator, pulleys, belts, brackets) to make more room.

Make sure that you have lots of lift room. When I pulled the engine in my 53 I thought the engine was never going to leave the frame. I didn't weigh it but the engine and transmission must have weighed almost a thousand pounds.