Source needed for rubber blocks to use as axle snubbers

hddennis

Anybody have an idea of where I could obtain rubber blocks that could be ground into rubber axle bumpers for my 1917 Maxwell? They appear to be about 1 3/4 inches wide x 6 inches long x 3 inches tall and were held on with leather straps. Thanks, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142134585_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142134592_thumb.jpg

Howard, The tech data sheet for Flexane (the trade name for Devcon's casting urethane rubber) states it has 26.5 cubic inches per pound. I suppose you can do some rough dimension calculations of your snubber or if you want more accurate volume, then immerse in a beaker of water and do the math (aka the Archimedes principle). http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_151.pdf FYI, there is also a Flexane 94 that is harder (Shore hardness A of 97) which is touted for making motor mounts. Shop around, the prices seem to vary from $41 to $60 per one pound box. Also Devcon offers an additive to soften the product if needed.

I googled 'dock rubber bumper'. Pages of them showed up. Just picked one from Amazon, 4' x 3" wide x 4" deep. Cost $34.99. Made from recycled rubber so unsure it would work for you. If you decide to machine instead of mold, try getting the material as cold as You can. Freezer or dry ice. It will machine like wood.

Actually I have both used Flexane to mold parts and cut pieces out of bock rubber. It would seem to me to be better to shape-machine a block of rubber if you have a bandsaw and a good sander or grinder. There is a lot more flexibility in available shore hardness in a block of rubber. Molding will also work fine and there is the possibility that you may want to try that just for the fun of it. I would mold it with the top of the bumper on the bottom so any air bubbles will be on the underside. Good luck! This is the kind of restoration work that I like the best.