6 volt battery question

mrcvs

I have a 1917 Maxwell and the batteries need replacing. It takes two 6 volt batteries. Any recommendations to the cranking amps necessary? Any particular type of battery recommended, or can I simply buy 6 volt batteries from Tractor Supply.

The car is 35 miles away, and I cannot recall the batteries in there now, other than they no longer hold a charge.

I have a 1917 Maxwell and the batteries need replacing. It takes two 6 volt batteries. Any recommendations to the cranking amps necessary? Any particular type of battery recommended, or can I simply buy 6 volt batteries from Tractor Supply.

The car is 35 miles away, and I cannot recall the batteries in there now, other than they no longer hold a charge.[/quote

Almost any battery that you get today is going to be superior to what was available in 1917. I would just get something that fits (unless the battery box is very small in which case I would make a larger one).

Assuming the two six volt batteries are under either the front or rear seat, select batteries that will fit properly in the existing battery holders. They're likely either group 1 or group 2 size. Is your Maxwell 6 volt or 12 volt? Some Maxwells are configured to use the two batteries in series (12 volts) for starting purposes. The leads from the batteries should be professional soldered leads to minimize the voltage drop. Normal lead acid cells from Interstate should work satisfactorily. Suggest using a battery tender (direct leads to quick disconnect connector) during the driving season and store the batteries in a moderate temp environment during the winter season (if applicable). Properly maintained lead acid batteries should last 6-8 years and I'm sure there are exceptions.

I posted this on the assumption that a Tractor Supply battery was cheap, like $39 each. Well, since the last time I needed a battery, prices have escalated (Now $89.99 at Tractor Supply - each!). I did some research, and discovered that Optima makes a 6 volt battery that is $115.00 each on Amazon.com. It has good recommendations and lasts a lot longer than other batteries. I conclueded it was worth the extra money over the long term. My wallet feels the pain right about now...