1939 chrysler headlight puzzle

Hi from Australia,

I am keenly seeking a pair of 1939 Chrysler royal headlight assys....however there seems to be two types, one type resembles a 1940 ford headlight with a wide bezel with circular glass(as per Johnny Carsons car at the Imperial) . Other type is like my Aussie assembled rhd car with a slim oval bezel surround with full almond shaped glass.

Maybe the Johny Carson type is a sealed beam conversion.

Can anybody throw any light (no pun intended) on the subject and there must be some one in the US out there that can help me in my search. Would appreciate any leads on 1939 Chrysler parts,

Thanking you all in advance,

Richard Hele

Queensland Australia

P S Maybe somebody could also show me how to add pics from my document box.???

Guest Henry White

Can anyone provide the OP with the name of the guy who brings all the headlamps to Hershey? Edit: Is it MR Axlerod?

Round glass does sound like a sealed beam conversion.

I am familiar with the ones you want, I know they will be hard to find.

Have you been in touch with anyone at the Chrysler Restorers Club in Australia? http://www.chryslerclub.org.au/

They may have knowledge of where the correct headlights might be purchased. Possibly someone with a '39 has accumulated some spares and he'd be willing to part with a pair of them.

Here's a Chrysler in Australia. You can see the correct headlights. post-31810-143142120533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

Hi again Jon,

Interesting to note also that the front bumper does not have a dip between the overiders, my car is the same and I thought maybe some time back somebody had fitted a Dodge ot Plymouth bumper??

It would appear that the australian assembled cars by TJ Richards Bodyworks must have used this type rather than your American models. Of interest Chrysler bought out the T J Richards people and it became Chrysler Australia.

With a twist, Chrysler later aquired the English Rootes group,and changed their name to Chrysler Rootes Australia!

Richard