Serpentine belt

Don Hudd

Hopfully this is easy. My belt broke, replaced it but it is hitting the bracket between the air cond and the crank. I am thinking that is what caused the belt to break as I was getting a fairly loud noise noise which I thought was the altenator but it is charging. Any help?

There is NO way the belt can rub that bracket, unless you didn't route it right.

The belt comes down from the power steering pump, on the left of the HB, wraps ALMOST all the way around the HB (UNDER the bracket), then switches back up the left side of the water pump, then down to the compressor.

Then again, if it was misrouted, I doubt you could get it on

Just a thought...

Edited by harry yarnell
add info (see edit history)

was routed wrong, got it right. Still have the noise, I am thinking the alt. bearings are bad. When I got the belt right, started car belt started smoking as the alt was not turning, loosened belt, re- attached and alt started turning but very load noise. Going to have the alt. checked unless you guys know a way to check it without taking it off and to a shop. Thanks for the help. My route sticker is gone and I had the belt under the bracket going to the air conditioner pump. Thought about that and changed it the next day before checking back here, which I should have done in the 1st place. Thanks again

Guest Corvanti

i'd take the serp belt off and run it for 20 to 30 seconds to make sure it's not the crankshaft balancer making the noise...:)