Lazy turn signals

rocky5517

On my 67 Riv, with the A/C and headlites on, the turn signals dont want to blink; they act a little better when I turn off the heavy electric items, until finally when all the accessories are off, then they seem to blink properly. Any hints or is this normal?

Sam,

That condition is not normal. the root cause could be several things so will be difficult to pinpoint via internet forum. I would start by changing the turn signal flasher. I have my doubts thats it but its cheap and easy to do before you get into other more complicated possibilities. If the new flasher doesn't help here are some things to check. Its not uncommon to see slow flashing signals on old cars and often the result is from poor connections at various location in the car.

Recreate the problem and check for a full 12 volts at the battery and then with engine RPM a little higher than idle you should have 13.8 or so if the charging/regulating system is working. If less than 12 volts like say 10-11 volts you may have a battery and/or charging system issue. Assuming that checks out:

The turn signal flasher responds faster if there is more current draw so its important all bulb connections are good. Check all the bulb sockets front and rear signal lamps to insure you have good connections on both on the hot terminal and on the spring grounding tabs where it contacts the lamp housing. If any of these are a poor connection it limits current draw and if drastic enough potentially will slow down the flasher speed. If problem is just one side then focus on the bulb connections on that side. If both sides it more likely a power feed or main body grounding problem.

Verify the two braided copper ground straps from rear engine to firewall are intact, clean and tight.

The power for the accessories/lights comes from the battery positive connection at the starter solenoid so make sure it is clean and tight.

You'll have to verify with the shop manual diagram but I think the power for the turn signals goes through the ignition switch. The heavy red wire on the ignition switch is notorious for overheating and creating a poor connection so you can verify that. checking, cleaning and tightening the terminals on the ignition switch is a good preventive maintenance task no matter what on any 67. I've seen as many melted/crispy ignition switch wiring connectors as good ones.

Oh and make sure the correct bulbs are installed specified in the manual.

Good Luck!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Jason- thanx for the excellent advice as usual. Yesterday we had an issue with the fan switch- only working on high. We took the connectors apart and cleaned/lubed, and now I get all 4 speeds. But the turn signal condition did not change. As you predicted, there was evidence that the red wire and connector had overheated once before.By evidence I mean it was melted. Is that part, the plastic connector, available? Is it a common piece?

Jason- thanx for the excellent advice as usual. Yesterday we had an issue with the fan switch- only working on high. We took the connectors apart and cleaned/lubed, and now I get all 4 speeds. But the turn signal condition did not change. As you predicted, there was evidence that the red wire and connector had overheated once before.By evidence I mean it was melted. Is that part, the plastic connector, available? Is it a common piece?

Not sure which connector you are referring to. If its the ignition switch, no they are not reproduced as far as I know. Have to find good used or in times of desperation, I have eliminated the connector, replaced bad female ends on the wires with insulated solderless terminals and connected them individually. This really isn't recommended because #1 you can get the wires mixed up and #2 the connector clips to the ignition switch helping keep them attached if the harness is pulled away......but it works.

You might also consider a higher output alternator, which sould make a difference when all the electrics are turned on.

Corroded, or poor connections anywhere, in any electrical circuit, ground or positive, will impede electrical performance, as Jason so aptly stated.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)