Help! Trying to find old car for father - Ford Mustang Fastback

Guest rawcu1283

Guest rawcu1283

Does anyone know of a way to find an old car by the original 11-digit VIN? My father purchased a 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback and sold it in the early 70's and my brother and I are trying to track it down and possibly purchase and restore it for him as a surprise. We know he purchased it in Arizona and sold it in California (San Jose area). Thanks!!

Guest 37Packard

The odds of it still being around are very slim. You probably saw the video of the brothers who tracked down their father's '65 Impala 30 years after he sold it but those stories are few and far between. The DMVs of most states won't give out info on past owners so tracking it down if it wasn't crushed decades ago is almost impossible. Good luck-you're going to need it....

Years ago, California passed laws preventing the DMV from being used to obtain any information about other drivers, or their cars. It was not uncommon to be able to walk into a DMV office and get the name and address of any car with just know the license plate number. The laws were changed because of stalkers and thieves. California's DMV will not provide any information. Your only chance is if the Ford Mustang club records the VIN numbers of member’s cars and is willing to pass it along to you.

rawcu1283,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

It is a longshot, but post the serial number of the car that you are looking for here. If it has been restored, it is a possibility that the current owner will see it here. The other longshot possibility is that in the future, someone could do an Internet Search on their car's serial number and find your post here.